The one note.....that takes me away.

>From: Zenswhen <bushchoked@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Spiritual Who songs
>
>>Yeah, Heaven forbid we try to drag our minds out of the Dark Ages.
>
>Scott:
>
>This would be a good place for me to point out that a lot of Pete's best songs come from a
>spiritual place. All of Tommy, all of Lifehouse, at least one song on Quad (Drowned).

That's a *very* important point to make.
While I side more with Scott during Scott and Jon's love affair with the meaning of life debates, I for one can't dismiss the flow of energy in life.
To me, there is something there.
We can all sense stress.  We can feel tension in others.  Negative energy, etc.
Good love making *relies* on shared and understood energy!

It's this following or exploration of flow of energy that has me really listening to Pete's words in Lifehouse and about the one note.
Just my luck, when a really interesting topic like meaning of Lifehouse comes up, I'm too busy to be here to share in the discussion.

But, for me, this one note is the very root of The Who.  It's the root of Pete's thoughts and perceptions of his universe.  It's something that really interests me, and has guided me for the last 10+ years.  It's pure.  It's easy.
I don't necessarily put it into religious terms though.  It's more of a religion of the science of it all.
I don't profess to have answers, but I keep looking...seeking.

What I find interesting about Lifehouse, something that actually generates more questions for me than answers, is that Pete on stage, must at times feel the same sort of thing we tickets in the audience do at times when things start to go nuts.  When the "wow factor" starts to kick in.  If not, how did he even know to follow up on this?  To try and recreate it?
Something happens through the music.  We've all felt it.  Things get weird.  Sparks start to fly.  Then, when it stops, it takes a bit to even remember where the fuck you are!  You were transported to another place.
It's an amazing phenomenon.  Like a drug.  It's the hope of recreating it that drives me back to more shows.  It's also what causes me disappointment when it doesn't happen (Boston I 2002).

I've always wondered if the band feels it too.  I mean they must, yet how can then when they are the ones concentrating on what they are performing.  The only conclusion I've come to is that by playing (to the level where it's all unconscious), they are so involved that the transportation actually happens faster for them.  But, this takes an immense level of concentration.  Thus, Pete gets frustrated when others are distracting him from achieving this high, this euphoria.

....the rambling thoughts of
Kevin in VT