Howard Stern

Finally something I can chime in on...  :)

I remember those few days after it broke distinctly...being a long time
fan of both of them I was interested in hearing Howards comments on the
event. Some things I remember.  He did say that if it were true it would
be a huge story.  Stern also was saying that Pete's excuses were very
weird and he didn't understand what type of research he could be doing. He
also took a call from what seemed to be a big Pete fan who was well
informed and that fan described the situation from *our* point of view.
Howard said that he would wait to pass judgement until everything came
out.  Howard also mentioned that he would hate to see someone's career
ruined if it turned out to be false.  Also during that week one
semi-regular called in and tired to associate the lyrics of Uncle Ernie
with Pete and Fred (one of Sterns sidekicks) pointed out that, the song
was not written by Pete.   Along with all of this came the usual expected
jokes and from what I remember 2 songs "Preteen Playland" and something
about naked boys song to the tune of "Magic Bus".  FWIW:  At the Concert
for New York, Howard said there was only one person who was rude to him
the entire time he was there and that was President Clinton.  He didn't
mention Pete at all from what I remember; I don't remember him saying that
his gf was even with him....but I could have been in the tunnel.

Although The Who are not Howards favorite group, I have never gotten the
impression that he hates them, I don't think he really cares one way or
the other.  Howard has mentioned groups that he hates and it is quite
obvious when he says how much he hates them.  In fact Howard saw them not
to long ago at MSG, he went with his GF and KC and his GF and he really
gave them a glowing review, he said they were great. If he really hated
them, quite frankly he wouldn't have gone to see them.  Roger has been on
the show a few times, John I believe was on as well.  I remember Howard
saying to Roger a long time ago that the only problem with the Who was
that Pete wasn't on drugs anymore; I though that was pretty funny.   Even
the bands that he really likes, like the Beatles are not immune in any
way.  Howard used to be quite vicious to Linda McCartney and Paul (back in
the day) and I remember Howard playing nonstop an unedited board feed of
Linda singing backup to Hey Jude and how awful it was.  Actually this
morning KC (Howard's assistant producer) mentioned he was a Pete Townshend
fan and Howard said nothing.  If Howard really held some hatred for Pete
he wouldn't have let Pete's name slip by without a comment like he
wouldn't let Rosie's or Kathy Lee's name go.

All things considered I remember thinking that Howard was pretty fair in
his comments on the whole situation.  Not once did I think he was gloating
or overdoing it or happy that it happened.  I can't imagine anyone who
listens to Stern thinking that he wouldn't comment on the situation, nor
can I imagine anyone being surprised that he didn't use his bullypulpit to
defend Pete...quite frankly no one I know(besides people on these groups)
had any idea beyond what they heard/read on tv or in the paper; very few
people had any type of in depth knowledge like those of us who read these
lists.  Like I said, I have been a long time fan of Stern (pretty much
listened to him every morning for the past 20 years or so) and I am big
Fan of Pete, that being said; I was not at all upset by Howards comment on
the whole thing, in fact some of the stuff he was said was funny; and
considering the reactions of some radio stations/personalities, I thought
Howard was fine and expected.

Just my .02

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail. Such may be
produced at the request of regulators. Sender accepts no liability
for any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by other
than intended recipients is prohibited. This is neither an offer nor
a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell securities. Opinions or estimates
constitute our best judgment at this time and are subject to change without
notice. Information upon which this material is based was obtained from
sources believed to be reliable but has not been verified. Additional
information
is available upon request. Jefferies its affiliates and respective directors
officers and employees may buy or sell securities mentioned as agent or
principal. This is for use by professional or institutional investors only. No
investments or services mentioned or described are available to "private
customers" as defined by the FSA or to anyone in Canada not a "Designated
Institution". .