[no subject]

You'll recall I asked you for your top album about
machines or robots. My three suggestions were Styx
(Kilroy Was Here), Radiohead (OK Computer) and the
Flaming Lips (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots). First,
my pick. Hands down, it's OK Computer. What I like
about it is that it's not overwhelmingly obvious that
it's a concept album about machines. (The band even
says it's not.) But if you pay attention, it's clear
that most of the songs deal in some way with
technology's encroachment on civilization. As for you
guys, the Lips seemed to get the most votes, but the
Alan Parsons Project's I Robot got several mentions,
as did Deep Purple's Machine Head. The aforementioned
Steve suggested the whole Karn Evil suite from ELP's
Brain Salad Surgery. This came after he advanced an
interesting conspiracy theory (namely, that before
letting Junior illegally pass Matt "Mr. Roboto"
Kenseth, NASCAR threw a bogus caution for debris to
keep him from losing the lead draft). Then Steve
asked, "Am I just a paranoid, conspiracy-theorizing,
progressive rock-loving, race fan?" Yes, Steve, that's
exactly what you are. But it's why we love you, and
hope you write back whenever you feel the urge. The
impeccably named Cosgrove Watt of Brooklyn, a
self-confessed music geek and, perhaps, the only
NASCAR fan in Brooklyn, offered up a slew of
suggestions, including Stereolab, Neil Young and
something called Flying Saucer Attack. He also says
the worst concept album about machines is Pete
Townshend's Iron Man, and he'll get no argument from
me. The album is, as the Brits say, pants.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com