Re: PW embarrassment; YBYB; Puppetry

>The song "You Better, You Bet" itself may be a bit cheesy but I would hardly call the lyrics "empty."

Scott:

I should have said "compared to other Who songs."

>Perhaps the "When I say I love you..."
chorus is, but certainly not the rest of the lyrics. There's some good imagery there.

You mean like "I just like your nose"?

> Funny. You see, I'm not sure I even put PW in that category.
PW which was created to win favor of a critic that then would give a good review that then would in turn make money.

Kevin:

I don't see a difference. Either by the radio or a good review, if the song is meant to promote (sort of) the product...OK, YES, it IS a business and it's not always clean and cut and dried and admirable. But it is what it is!

>Also strikes me......that Tommy was seen as being very "pretentious", as

I think Pete had a problem with the definition of Rock music as associated with being a juvenile sort of music. That is evident on Who By Numbers. By then he was tired of trying to elevate his work, but back when he was doing Tommy I think he was making an honest effort to create Rock music for adults. And he wasn't alone, if you consider King Crimson's Court Of The Crimson King (same year) and Arthur (Kinks) and a lot of other stuff that came out around that time. I suppose as the musicians approached their mid-20's, they were beginning to feel the pressure.

>but someone here or on O&S made note of that too.

I think a lot of songs take on a different light as time passes. A good example of that would be WBN...coming out after Quad, I was very disappointed in it. Until, that is, I heard WAY.

>How do Chaeney and Rumsfeld get their hand in George's back like that?

Because his head is empty

>Has anyone ever thought about what it would feel like if Al Gore were president as we speak?

Jo:

Yeah, but Lew and Kevin covered what I would say quite well.

>more contemptible than Hussein...

Mike:

They're reporting on CBS that the Iraqi people now want the police back, to stop the looting. You know, Saddam's police...

>Finally - regarding WMD in Iraq.....intel sources reported some time ago

Gregg:

For a guy who gets his financial advice from a radio talk show host, I figured...nah, he couldn't prove himself any more clueless than he has already. THEN you go into your rant. Ah, well, that's you...but this Syria business is just too much to swallow! So the will-o-the-wisp of WMD can now carry our war all over the Middle East, never actually found but always there to lead us on into battle. No evidence of WMD has been found in Iraq, unless you count pesticide (they might!). I guess bleach is next, because it could potentially damage the skin.

No administration has been more dishonest with its citizens than this one.

>it anyway. The only way he found those 12 WMD warheads

The ones sealed in a crate since 1991? OOOOOH, that an IMMINENT THREAT! BWAH HA HA HA! You bought into it!

>How do Chaeney and Rumsfeld get their hand in George's back like that?

Kevin:

Because his head is empty

"I can kill 'cause in God I trust/It's evolution, baby "
                               Eddie Vedder

                 Cheers             ML