Pinball Wizard An Embarrassment?

>From: "Schrade, Scott"
>Subject: Re: Pinball Wizard An Embarrassment?
>
>I mean, if Pete thought Nik Cohn was stupid
>enough to give a thumbs-up to the album just because it had a pinball
>element in it, then that's not saying much for Pete's admiration & respect
>for Nik Cohn, is it?.  Why ask for his advice in the first place if he's
>that shallow?

I've been wondering that my entire Who-fan life.

>So, if you're embarrassed by Pete's pinball inclusion in TOMMY, then fine.

I'm really quite amazed at the amount of resentment this seems to be
generating.
Well, don't let it ever be said that I don't have objectiveness, or ability
to criticize a Who song.

>But remember this:  It was Pete's idea.  Not Nik Cohn's.  And it wasn't
>any type of sell-out because there was no way in hell Nik Cohn was going
>to make or break the TOMMY album.  Pete knew that & so did Nik, I'm sure.

It has *always* been portrayed by anyone in The Who camp, *including* Pete,
that Pinball Wizard was added so as to garner a positive review from Nik
Cohn, *because* Nik Cohn was a *big* fan of pinball.
Scott, 1+1 really does equal 2.
Why do you want to hide from this?

>Pete asks for
>advice.  Pete agrees with the advice.  Pete comes up with an idea.

Out of the blue!  Pinball!  That's it!  (ignore the man behind the curtain
who happens to publicly be known to be a BIG pinball fan.

>Pete incorporates the new idea into the piece.

Yep.

>Wow.  How horribly unethical.

To some, yes.

Kevin in VT