Re: Pinball Wizard An Embarrassment?

> My extensive research indicates there was nothing in PW's place before
> Pete went home and dashed it off.  Pete was going to toss Tommy out
> there without that thread and hope it flew.

Alan:

That seems to be the case.  And I think we should clarify that it wasn't
just a matter of plunking "Pinball Wizard" down amongst the songs that
were already written, & having that be that.

The pinball element was added late, after most of the songs had already
been written, so Pete had to actually go back & *change* various lyrics
on other songs in order to develop the pinball theme further.

Sort of like a last-minute rewrite.  Bit of a gamble.

> So, you're saying Pinball Wizard is supposed to be a joke?  Well, to me
> it kind of is.  But, I think the joke was missed by a whole bunch of
> people.

Cuz Kev:

It's kind of hard to miss the absurdity in the idea of a deaf, dumb, &
blind pinball champion becoming an idolized messiah-like figure.  There's
irony & humor in there.  On a high, literate level.  Why you only seem to
see it as a lame attempt at humor - an embarrassing, failed joke - is
beyond me.

Most rock fans seem to be able to grasp the idea that the pinball champ-
ion metaphor is an ironic reflection of modern society, & not just a bit
of silliness in an otherwise serious piece of rock music.  I don't know
why you're having difficulty accepting that, Cuzzle Kevil.  I'm afraid you
& the others you've met who believe it all to an embarrassing joke are in
the minority.

- SCHRADE in Akron