Re: pinball embarrassment

Simple Minded FUCKS!

From: Sroundtable@aol.com
To: TheWho@igtc.com
Subject: pinball embarrassment
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 23:48:13 -0500

> "One of the worst decisions of The Who's career?" What the fuck?! Are
> you serious? I don't know of anyone who thinks "Pinball Wizard" is a
> "joke" or just a silly song. It's a classic rock staple. One of the
> most electrifying singles in rock history.
>
> I'll admit the song would look a lot more silly & antiquated *if* pinball
> had gone out of fashion, but it hasn't! Pinball is still popular. Bars
> still have pinball machines. Arcades still have pinball machines. People
> still play pinball.
>
> Who gives a shit if Pete wrote it so Nick Cohn would give the album a de-
> cent review. It works, it fits, it rocks.
>
> "Embarrassment of the album?" I'm afraid our usually keen Cousin Kevin
> from VT has made a horrible misjudgment. Let's forgive
> him, however.
> After he apologizes.
>

> - - SCHRADE in Akron

I agree, Scott. I like the way it stands out as the only song in the first part of Tommy (songs before I'm Free) that doesn't have a dark feel to it. It breaks the sort of depressing backdrop of the first half or so of the opera. I like its placement for this reason. Here's a kid who has gone deaf, dumb and blind after seeing someone killed (either his father or mother's lover), and is brutally abused by uncle and cousin, fed drugs from a seedy prostitute, and doesn't get any medical treatment until he's almost (if not) adult age. It's as dark as the second part is upbeat and positive until the ultimate crash of "We're not gonna take it." The Nick Cohn story makes it even cooler, in my opinion, and shows how incredible PT is with guitar and pen.

Incidentally, it answers another question from a while back about ICSFM (#9) being the highest charting Who single ever in the U.S. Actually, PW reached #5 in the USA according to 30 yrs max r&b, making it the highest. ICSFM was tied for second with one or two others.

Mc