Re: Pinball Wizard An Embarrassment?

> To illuminate and mock the pop culture that will follow someone for
> being a champion of just about anything -- to mock (even
> subconsciously) The Who's audience for following something as
> supremely silly as loud anarchic rock music -- to lead us the
> audience to realize we're being mocked -- and then let those of us
> who will, realize that if we can get so much out of rock music,
> perhaps masses cheering a pinball champion isn't so stupid or silly
> after all.

Very good point, Alan.  By making Tommy a celebrated pinball champ,
Pete is ironically poking fun at not just his own profession, but present-
day society as a whole & its penchant for creating, sustaining, & finally
discarding all types of trivial idols & heroes.

Without the pinball aspect, we lose that entire dimension of the story.
Apparently people like Kevin & "le garcon d'anglais" don't see this.
They just see an attempt by Pete to make the story more palatable
for mass consumption.  And by doing so they're missing the depth &
irony of the plot device.

Pinball isn't just an awkward insertion into an otherwise wonderful
story.  It's essential to that story.  It's essential that Tommy be raised
up by the masses & eventually brought down by them.  That's an inte-
gral part of the story.  And having Tommy become a pinball champ ac-
complishes that quite nicely.  What would've been better?  Making
Tommy a deaf, dumb, & blind golfer?  Or perhaps Kevin would've
preferred Tommy be a skiing or snowboarding champ.  I'd bet we'd
get no argument if *that* were the case.

And again, the assumed subtext of the absurd idea of equating a re-
vered pinball champ with a revered rock idol can't be ignored.  Es-
pecially when it comes from the mind of Pete Townshend who has
grappled with this idea throughout much of his career.

- SCHRADE in Akron