Re: Tommy's real weak point

> The weak point on Tommy is "Listening to You".  It doesn't rock like
> the rest of the record, and the vocals are too high, somnambulant and
> redundant in tone.

I like the "Listening To You" ending of TOMMY.  I don't consider it a
weak point at all.  And saying it "doesn't rock like the rest of the
record" is confusing because there are plenty of soft, subtle, unrocking
moments on TOMMY.

I understand what you're saying about the vocals (the tone) but it still
sounds pleasant to me.  There's a certain disconnected subdued spirit-
uality in the way it's sung that compliments the overall theme & feel of
the album.

> I thought Roger did a better job on this song on the movie soundtrack,

That's a powerful performance but a bit over-the-top, too, perhaps.  Sung
like that, it wouldn't fit well on the studio album.  It's more desperate
& brash in tone than spiritual or serene.

> and the Who always did it much better live.

I disagree.  This song was usually quite sloppy live.  Plagued by poor
backing vocals & botched lyrics (which verse are we on?).  It's rousing
live, I'll give you that, but the studio version is much sweeter & smooth-
er.

> It feels only 3/4 baked.

Wasn't that a common complaint about the entire album?  They needed more
time, etc.  I disagree with that complaint, also.  Part of TOMMY's bril-
liance is the album's soft, intellectual spirituality.  At least that's
one of the things *I* like about it.  It has a lightness & mystical qual-
ity to it.  I think that's part of the reason the live stage versions
were so well-received, because there was a nice juxtaposition there be-
tween the studio sound & the live sound.  Both were essential in its de-
velopment.

BTW, weaker songs than "Listening To You" are "Sensation" & "Welcome."
Nice plot movers but mediocre songs.

- SCHRADE in Akron