Kevin's downer

>From: "Jeff House"
>Subject: Kevin's downer

Oh please, that makes it sound infectious.

>Kevin O said "I expect perfection, and when I get something outrageous that
>is perhaps
>only slightly below perfection, I'm not happy.

I knew I would hear about using the word perfection.
That's really not what I meant, and was going to post a correction.
What I do look for is Pete's willingness to "run" with a jam.
His motivation in a show, the entire show, to finish what he started.  To
take a great groove, and allow the feed off the crowd, and continue to
follow that.  That's what I mean by a perfect who experience.
At times, Pete kind of starts a good jam, and then kind of goes, "ok, we've
done enough there, I want to stop".

>Wow.  Expectations can ruin a good time.  That's really a drag.

Relax Jeff.
Who said my good time was "ruined"?

>I spoke to dozens of people after the show, some had seen more than 10
shows
>on this tour.  I've read most of the reviews on the pt.com chatboard and
>other places.  Besides the complaints about the 'heckler', this is the only
>slightly negative review I've seen.

Oh......well.
But, first of all it wasn't a review.  Secondly, it wasn't negative.
I simply provided a perspective to Hershey, where perfection was found on
just about every fucking song.  Really.  What, I can't speak of different
shows?
My apologies, but Hershey was LARGE!  Be it because it was outdoors, in
front of a significantly larger crowd, along with a monstrous
performance....what ever.
That shouldn't take away from Boston II or your experience.  I don't mean to
be a "downer".  Notice how I kept my mouth shut at the time?  But please,
exclamations immediately after the show of "this was the greatest Who show
ever" were just a bit too fueled by the excitement at the time.  Oh, and
isn't that a comparison?

Come on, it's after the fact now.
The reality is that some shows will be better.  Hershey was.  No big deal.
Here's another opinion....I put Boston II on par with Camden.
Hey, that's not bad!  That's damn good!
I read a review that had Boston II *better* than Camden.  I say it's a toss
up there.
But Hershey was the shit.

>I think a clue can be found early on in
>your review when you compared this show to Hershey.

A clue?
A clue to what?
My psyche?
Oh please.

>Why compare?

Because I can?
You, along with all those reviews (I read many) compared to Boston II.
And so did others.
You can't stand back now and compare to PNC?
Surely you have that analytical ability.

>Why not
>live in the moment?

Oh, so I'm living in the past.....daddy?
Pretty presumptuous.

It's just that a bunch of "moments" at Boston (not all by any means) ended
before their time.
Others didn't.

>Why not just shake your cute little ass and marvel at
>the beauty that you beheld?

Trust me, I was shakin'. I was pogoing.  I was lost in a wall of sound in
Sparks, and other places.  Places that had me so lost I can't even remember
the song now.  I pushed Jess once in a fucking high-point moment so hard
that he almost knocked over the girl on the other side of him.  I can get
off at a show, don't worry about that.
Examples:  Moments before, during, and after Pete machine gunning
us......Pete Birdman....Pete yelling "oh fuck off" to Rabbit,  Roger fucking
up on catching his mike during one particularly fuzzy wash of sound heaven.
And so on..
I was *so* lost in these moments, that I can't remember the song they
occurred in.  Not a one.  They are moments were the song just didn't matter.
It was the energy, the sound, the communication.

**(after thought upon re-read:  maybe that's my problem at this point.
Knowing this is the last show of the tour or forever, I'm so desperate to
get my last drops of "the energy, the sound, the communication", that I lose
site of the actual songs and can't absorb it......I dunno.  Maybe it's the
repeating set list that is getting boring to me on a certain level.)**

I seem to have the uncanny ability it seems though to live in the moment, an
d compare and contrast all at the same time!
;-)
Hmmmm, lucky me?

>It was a perfect evening.  It really doesn't get any better than that,
>Kevin.

Jeff, yes it does.
Boston II pre-show with my buddy Stu, Cousin Schrade, Joe L., Mark L.,
Keets,  Jon in Mi, and many others........ at Hershey.
:-p

>I enjoyed your company greatly and that of nearly everyone I saw
>that evening.

Nearly?   ;-)
And why the hell wouldn't you enjoy my company!!!???   :-)
I'm a fun loving guy!
I'm a hugger!

>The exception would be the old lady security bitch who made a
>nuisance of herself down front ;-)

Mine would be the nazi cop in the parking lot that arrested the crying young
girl for underage drinking.
("Let her see The Who!"    Kevin O'Neal 9/27/02)

>Really.  It could have not been better.

So I guess you're saying Boston II was better than PNC?
Were you not living in the moment at PNC? ;-)

It's not a competition.
It's a tour.

Kevin in VT