Re: Drugs and Rock N Roll

Remember, I said drugs *& alcohol.*  Not just drugs.

Scott:

Yes, you did. But twasn't alcohol that killed him. It was the drugs he was given to stop him from drinking.

I don't know if I'd call 14 years of heavy boozing & pill-
popping "accidental."

Well, again...that's not what killed him. Definitely led up to it, definitely a factor. Also I'd say his learned behavior (remember: "Take one? I'm Keith Moon!") also played into it. The Rock N Roll lifestyle he enjoyed to its fullest, and became his pattern of behavior. And in most cases this lifestyle can lead to some very creative moments. But only to a point, and realistically drugs can only be safely used in moderation. I'd liken it to repelling...ever done that? Great fun, especially head first. But it's potentially very deadly. If I was to kill myself doing that, would it be accidental or the lifestyle that's at fault?

ic, he wouldn't have needed the pills to help control it.

True, all true, but if he had walked in front of a bus he wouldn't have died from a perscription drug overdose, either. If we're going to speculate...

And if he wouldn't have overdosed, the '89 reunion tour
would've been *much* more enjoyable!  ;-)

Now THERE'S a heavy bit of speculation! Would there have been one? Would The Who gone on w/o Moon as they planned before he died (a la Brian Jones)? Or continued until Moon collapsed one too many times? Or broken up, Moon got clean, and then a 1989 reunion tour?

Yes.

Jon:

Many don't. I don't know if I do. I would suggest there is a difference between dying from perscription drugs and recreational drugs. I'd say if it was perscription drugs, and not intentionally done as in a suicide, then it would be an accidental death. Whereas if he was doing Heroin I'd call it a drug overdose.