Re: Stumbling Blocks & Regrets

Let me put a brazilian point of view. Here in the
western periphery, we do like rock and roll, since
Bill Haley and his comets, passing by Elvis, Beatles,
Stones, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd,
Supertramp, etc. etc. etc. The Who ain't known very
well, except by Tommy's movie and some Best of. If
some says that The Who is the third one, after Beatles
and Stones, people simply answer that this one is
crazy, that of course there are many others to be
considered the third one, like Led Zep, Pink Floyd and
so on. The Who is just ignored. And if you put some cd
to people listen, they just can't get the significance
of the music, as we, the converted ones, can do
normally. I think the Who's music demands some kind of
initiation, I don't know. Some insight. Some
enlightenment. Some luck. To resume, our beloved Who
ain't for anyone. They are masters, like Jimi Hendrix,
Cream, John McLaughlin, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny and
other fews that don't sell that much, just because
there aren't so many to understand them and pay the
price. That is my humble opinion.

> Since I still seem to be stuck in that "we're
nearing the end of
> The Who" frame of mind, I'd like to know other
listers' opinions
> on a few things regarding The Who's career.
>
> Now, I'll tell you upfront that these questions are
going to be of
> a negative nature.  So no need to remind me that The
Who had many
> positive things happen in their career.  I know
that.  Perhaps we
> can discuss those at a later date.  Let's get the
ugliness out of
> the way first.
>
> Question #1:  What was the biggest hindrance or
stumbling block in
> the career of The Who?
>
> Was it Pete's moodiness?  Keith's drinking?  Poor
management?  Un-
> reachable goals?  Loss of motivation?  Money?
Drugs?  Debauchery?
> Fame?  Pete's writing?
>
> My pick would be drugs/alcohol.  Let's face it -
they're responsible
> for two original memebers of The Who actually dying.
 Now, I know
> drugs & alcohol don't do damage when they're not
being ingested.  A
> person has to consciously make that decision to
drink or do drugs.
> And many Rock musicians seem to be able handle both
without actual-
> ly dying.  So maybe it's the *overuse* of drugs &
alcohol that's the
> problem.  Anyway, that's my pick as the biggest
hindrance to the
> Who's career.
>
> Question #2:  What's your personal, biggest regret
when it comes to
> the history/career of The Who?
>
> Was it missing a particular show or tour?  Not
getting into them
> until a later age?  Not buying something rare when
you had the chance?
> Passing on a chance to meet John?  Not seeing them
with Moon?

> I guess my biggest regret would be not seeing them
on the '82 tour.
> It wasn't my fault really.  I *wanted* to go, I just
couldn't get a
> ticket.  I was just beginning my Who-Freak trip in
'82 & had yet to
> see a major Rock concert.  My older brother & I
mailed our SASE for
> tickets (remember those days?) before the deadline
but weren't success-
> ful.  My brother eventually got to go to the show
via a friend who
> had an extra ticket, but I wasn't so lucky.
>

> - SCHRADE in Akron

Yahoo! GeoCities
Tudo para criar o seu site: ferramentas faceis de usar, espago de sobra e acesssrios.
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/