Another Chicago Sun-Times review of House Of Blues

On line at:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep25.html

Moon, Entwistle gone, but long live the Who
September 25, 2002
BY RICHARD ROEPER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Four columns for the price of one: So I'm watching a
remarkably fit Pete Townshend windmilling on the
guitar and a strong-voiced Roger Daltrey twirling his
microphone as if he's back at Woodstock as they
perform a blistering set at the House of Blues on
Monday night, and I'm thinking: These guys are
supposed to put the Who to bed forever?

All due respect to the memories of Keith Moon and John
Entwistle and their priceless contributions as
musicians and personalities to the Who's legacy, but
just as Lennon and McCartney defined the Beatles, and
Jagger and Richards personify the Rolling Stones,
Townshend and Daltrey are the heart and voice of the
Who--and in their benefit concert for the
controversy-plagued Maryville Academy at the House of
Blues, the boys put on an amazing, energetic show that
included such classics as "Can't Explain," "The Kids
are Alright," "Who Are You," "My Generation," "Pinball
Wizard" and "Amazing Journey/Sparks."

To quote a review from many years ago, it was Who
Heaven.

When Entwistle died last June, a strident contingent
of diehard fans and, of course, many rock critics were
deeply offended that the band was going to continue to
perform under the banner of the Who. If they want to
call themselves something like the Daltrey/Townshend
Experience and cover their hits, fine--but how dare
they call themselves the Who without Moon and
Entwistle?

Yet, as I watched Townshend and Daltrey work their
magic on the crowd as they stomped through classics
such as "Baba O'Reilly" Monday night, the notion that
they should stop playing the music they created or
retire the name by which they've been known for more
than three decades was beyond ludicrous.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com