Stumbling Blocks & Regrets

Since I still seem to be stuck in that "we're nearing the end of
The Who" frame of mind, I'd like to know other listers' opinions
on a few things regarding The Who's career.

Now, I'll tell you upfront that these questions are going to be of
a negative nature.  So no need to remind me that The Who had many
positive things happen in their career.  I know that.  Perhaps we
can discuss those at a later date.  Let's get the ugliness out of
the way first.

Question #1:  What was the biggest hindrance or stumbling block in
the career of The Who?

Was it Pete's moodiness?  Keith's drinking?  Poor management?  Un-
reachable goals?  Loss of motivation?  Money?  Drugs?  Debauchery?
Fame?  Pete's writing?

My pick would be drugs/alcohol.  Let's face it - they're responsible
for two original memebers of The Who actually dying.  Now, I know
drugs & alcohol don't do damage when they're not being ingested.  A
person has to consciously make that decision to drink or do drugs.
And many Rock musicians seem to be able handle both without actual-
ly dying.  So maybe it's the *overuse* of drugs & alcohol that's the
problem.  Anyway, that's my pick as the biggest hindrance to the
Who's career.

Question #2:  What's your personal, biggest regret when it comes to
the history/career of The Who?

Was it missing a particular show or tour?  Not getting into them
until a later age?  Not buying something rare when you had the chance?
Passing on a chance to meet John?  Not seeing them with Moon?

I guess my biggest regret would be not seeing them on the '82 tour.
It wasn't my fault really.  I *wanted* to go, I just couldn't get a
ticket.  I was just beginning my Who-Freak trip in '82 & had yet to
see a major Rock concert.  My older brother & I mailed our SASE for
tickets (remember those days?) before the deadline but weren't success-
ful.  My brother eventually got to go to the show via a friend who
had an extra ticket, but I wasn't so lucky.

- SCHRADE in Akron