Re: Our Tarnished Who

> I think you're being overly pessimistic.

Am I?  Am I?!

> Perhaps you're mourning the end of this tour and the end
> of The Who as an active artistic force.

Yeah, as I said, that's part of it.  But it's not like I'm
*imagining* the negative articles, the negative comments, the
jokes, the put-downs, the sarcasm, the jabs, the insults, the
hypocrisy, the anger, the hate.

Even the *positive* reviews & articles are prefaced by an ad-
mission that many people are questioning or have questioned The
Who's motives.  It's almost as if these reviewers are doing
what I seem to be doing a lot lately: Trying to convince people
that The Who *do* warrant our respect & admiration regardless of
perceived falterings in the past (and present).

I'm defensive by nature - especially when it comes to The Who.
I won't sheepishly keep my mouth shut if I hear someone wrongly
criticizing them for something.  I'm very secure in my personal
relationship with The Who, however, I'm also an opinionated
loud mouth, too.  If someone starts bad-mouthing The Who & they
don't have their facts straight, or they're complaining about some-
thing out of context, I must speak up.

And I'll admit it: It upsets me that many people see the Who as
a big joke.  And it upsets me more that I *understand* why people
think this.  And that maybe some of their opinions are valid.  How
do I justify the bloated '89 tour?  I can't.

And yet I believe with all my heart that The Who are the greatest
Rock & Roll band ever.  That seems very obvious to me.  And it
sometimes irks me that others can't see that.  But I should expect
it, I suppose.

And it also pisses me off that The Who seem to be held to a higher
standard than other artists.  No one seems to mind T.V commercials
that use music by the Stones, the Stooges, David Bowie, the Pretend-
ers, Credence Clearwater Revival, Jimi Hendrix, the Sex Pistols,
the Clash, Led Zeppelin, DEVO etc.  But the critics' pens sure start
moving when a Who song pops up on a T.V. ad.  Why is that?

(I'll answer these next few questions even though they're of a con-
descending nature.)

> Were you hoping that The Who would receive some sort of positive
> universal critique?

Actually, I'd settle for a *majority* of positive universal critique.
And I don't think The Who even have *that.*  I think the majority of
Rock fans either don't care about The Who or see them as somewhat of
a hypocritical joke.

> Do you want The Who to be loved by all for all reasons?

No, Daddy.

> Do you want them to be loved for their catchy music, their uplifting
> and positive lyrics, their business decisions, their clothes, their
> pretty faces, the cute things they say to the press, their beautiful
> families that they trot out for the press to see, etc...?

No, Daddy, but I would like to see them get a little less slander &
a little more respect for their contribution to Rock.

> Do you want them to go triple platinum, get tons of airplay on all form-
> mats of radio stations, win Grammys, and get a 5 star review in Rolling
> Stone?  I don't.

I don't either, Daddy.  Me no like the Grammys or Rolling Stone magazine.
Me just want people to not only see the bad in The Who, but the greatness
as well.  Me want The Who's brilliance to be recognized & appreciated more,
Daddy.  Me want people's eyes & ears to be opened, Daddy.  Me no want to
read scores of negative, angry, hypocritical, uninformed articles by close-
minded journalists.  Me no want to go to my local bar & have people make
fun of my favorite band because they're out doing their job.  Me a demand-
ing son-of-a-bitch, Daddy!  Me want more respect for The Who!!  Now change
my diaper, motherfucker!!!

> They are and will forever be *MY* Who.  That's plenty for me.

Well, let me tell you....that's *your* Who that's getting the shaft in the
press & public opinion.  That's *your* Who that's considered a joke by many.
That's *your* Who that people are disregarding as unimportant, greedy, self-
ish, uncaring, & irrelevant.

We can simply allow The Who's gloried history to be pigeon-holed or re-
written, or we can fight it.

If you want, you can cuddle up to your lovely personal relationship with The
Who & ignore all the insults.....but I'm gonna fight.

> But then again maybe I'm just trolling, rationalizing, or lying ;-)

Sometimes it's hard to tell with you.

- SCHRADE in Akron