September 19, 2002

It was 20 years ago, almost to the day, when I first saw The Who in Chicago.
Since then, I've seen them perhaps ten times, in practically ten different
variations and incarnations.  The Who on Ice, Quad tour, the Farewell tour,
The Who in the 21st Century, it didn't matter; they always left me happy and
never failed to deliver.

On September 19, 2002 in Englewood, Colorado, there was something different.
For the first time, I saw them play as if their very lives depended on it.
As if they had something very important to prove - not only to their
audience and critics, but to themselves as well.  It was a balls to the
wall, damn the torpedoes, bull by the horns performance that was, despite
now being 1/2 original strength, vintage Who.  And the best part was, they
were obviously enjoying themselves.

The supporting cast of Zak, Rabbit, Pino and Simon were outstanding as they
usually are and I can add nothing about them that hasn't been said already
here many times.  I echo what's been said many times as well - Zak has been
the key to this wonderful resurgence.  He was born to replace Keith.

The set list was basically the same as it has been all tour long, but that
didn't mean that the band was sticking to the songs' formats
unconditionally.  They ventured out into uncharted territory on most;
seamlessly and fearlessly.  During Amazing Journey, the band went off the
map and lost its way just before the segue into Sparks.  Only a well trained
Who fanatic would have caught this mistake, but the band didn't lose a beat.
They never faltered and went into the chorus once more before getting back
into the song's proper format by improvising a little instrumental.  It only
added to the brilliance of the performance.

At first, my biggest apprehension wasn't the obvious replacement of John,
but the condition of Roger's voice.  All tour, I've been reading how
wonderful his voice has been, but I wasn't buying that on face value.  I
feared that he was not the singer he once was, and it would be a distraction
from the music.  I was dead wrong.  Daltrey was magnificent and he poured
his being into the presentation.  His voice was as great as it was 25 years
ago.  He was excellent.

But the night belonged to Pete.  For me, watching Pete Townshend play guitar
has been the finest form of entertainment and excitement I've encountered in
all mediums.  This night, Pete was even more than that.  I've never seen him
play so well, nor have I seen him play so transcendentally; not even in
older film footage.  The word has been used to describe him all tour long -
"possessed".  And he was.  His amazing ability to switch from sweet and
gentle rhythm to explosive monster guitar proved to me that he is - bar
none, the greatest guitar player in the world at this moment.  He was
working without a net all night long and if you looked close enough, you
could see smoke rising off of the frets.

I've seen Pete in good humor and I've seen him in pissy moods.  Last night,
he looked like he was having the time of his life.  The man couldn't contain
his smiles, even as you could noticeably see him try at times.  Mostly, he
just beamed.  This was a man who knew he was untouchable and was damn proud
of it.  A desperate "old fart" who knew musicians half his age couldn't
touch him; he was the Master and the rest are his students.  It was
beautiful and inspiring.  Pete is the reason I picked up a guitar in the
first place, and I was paying homage to him more so than ever before.  Truly
Rock's MVP of all time.

The crowd was the usual faithful and a spattering of younger fans.  What was
worth noting was the number of parent/kids in the audience.   There were
many, and those that I saw were wide-eyed by the end.  Sitting in front of
us, was a father and son and it was evident before The Who took the stage,
that the kid really didn't want to be there.  By the end of the show, that
boy had a new lease on his musical life.  He was shouting like a looney just
like the rest of us.

My wife who is very supportive of my Who devotion, but only a casual fan
wasn't having the best of days before we left for the show.  She was just
getting over being sick and was tired and down.  She's a helluva trooper and
did her best to feign excitement over going to the show but by the second
song she was jumping around as much as I was, and having a blast.  By the
time the show was over, she was exhausted from the energy and excitement,
like I was.  We had a fantastic time together.

When the show ended after the Tommy encores, Roger and Pete stayed on the
stage, waved to the crowd, made a couple more jokes about the lack of air up
in the mountains, and hugged each other.  What was different this time
around, was the look of pure joy on both their faces.  It wasn't the usual
"thank you ladies and gentlemen" bows and smiles.  These two men were
glowing and the proud smiles were huge and genuine.  They looked like two
kids that just got off their favorite roller coaster.  Unforgettable.

The absence of John was undeniable.  My wife even said that although he just
stood there on the stage like a statue, his presence was huge.  It was
during the photo montage at the end that I felt the emotion swell inside,
and I fought back tears when they showed his face.  Even she missed him, but
like everyone there, ten minutes into the show, there was no arguing that
The Who, as it stands today, is still the greatest rock and roll band in the
world.  NO other band can touch them.

I don't want to live in a world that doesn't have The Who in it either.  If
they call themselves The Who or not, if they tour again I won't miss them if
I can see them.  As long as they play, then I will be there to listen,
watch, and be awed.

I just hope I can get this goofy grin off my face soon.  Folks here at work
think that I'm stoned.  They're right, sort of.  I am still high as a kite
after last night and I don't think I'm going to come down for a
looooooonnnng time.  Peace and love...

Jim in Colo Springs

PS - There is so much more to describe, so many feelings, so many sights,
that I could write about them for hours and not mention everything.  But you
do NEED to know this:  The Englewood show was recorded and is supposed to be
released online soon.  They announced this after the lights came on.  They
mentioned a website where you can buy the two disc show but I can't remember
what it was.  I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.  RUN, don't walk to get
this one.  It was simply the best concert I've ever been to, and The Who
never sounded better.

Mark, no bullshit:  Do yourself a favor and take in a show before it's too
late.