Once upon a time...

...there was a nice little internet discussion group based on The Who.
Group members expressed their opinions, likes and dislikes, and even rode
tangents on non-Who related topics.  It was enjoyable and interesting.
Simply put, it was fun.  Depending on social events, topics would stray off
of Who/music themes and stray into political, even social commentary.
People felt free to express their feelings, and there was a mutual respect
for those feelings.

But things have changed unfortunately, and now some of us have to look over
both shoulders before making a comment.  Some have said things that have
enraged others, and some have been attacked for making harmless comments as
well.  I think it's time to stop that and get back to the way it used to be.

A while ago, Mark Leaman and I had a disagreement about a political issue -
a social condition that we both felt strongly about, and since that day in
2001 when it all began, we have been involved in a massive feud.  The
quality of the list has disintegrated as a result.  And there have been
others as well, not just Mark and I.  You know who you are.  Kudos to those
of you who have tried to keep the peace, or have simply ignored the feuding.

As for Mark and I, if one of us doesn't attempt to halt our foolishness, it
will continue until one of us quits or becomes a Stones fan and leaves The
Who list.  Well, I love The Who so I'm not leaving; I assume the same holds
true for you too, Mark.

Therefore, I offer a truce to you Mark, once again.  I replied to your
comments, and you replied to mine.  Back and forth, back and forth.
Redundancy at its finest.  It's really hard to point out that one and not
the other is a fool when both are acting like one.  And that's the truth;
there's no denying that.  I couldn't if I tried, and neither can you.

I've asked for this on several occasions, but you have not approached the
subject excepting one time:  last week, you said that you never agreed to a
"truce" after I offered one.  So I'm going to try to persuade you to accept
a truce, once again.

Today, I replied to your comments of yesterday, so it appears that I had my
say before offering this little peace treaty.  In all fairness, it is your
right to reply to my comments.  So please do.  Get it out of your system,
and don't forget to bang the bottom of the ketchup bottle so you get it ALL
out.  Dig deep and give it to me with both barrels.  But don't refuse to
approach this post and the offer within it.

If not for the sake of this list, then for the sake of those here who
couldn't give a rat's ass about you or I, let's end it.  It's run its
course.  I'm willing to, wanting to, and hoping to.  To be honest, I've got
more important things to do in my life, and The Who list was something that
served as an escape for me.  I don't want to have to prepare for battle
every time I open my email, and I hope you don't either.

So how about it?  Please don't brush off this request, as it is sincere.
It's Friday so I won't get to see the digest until Monday, by then, I'm
hoping that we'll be finished.  Don't pass on this offer and please make a
point to address it.  Instead of silence, this time I ask that you give me a
yes or a no.

It's easier than you think.  I've said it before - don't mention me, and I
won't mention you.  Don't read my posts and I won't read yours.  Life is too
short, and neither of us can say anything more than we've already said about
one another.  It's time for calm.  So what do you say?

It's all up to you.

Jim in Colo Springs