To Album or Not to Album.....Questions...

>From: Keithjmoon70@aol.com
>Subject: Re: To Album or Not to Album.....Questions...
>
>Not what I meant.  We all know what they did in the last 6 years,

I'd bet most people aren't aware of any of the past tours in the last 6
years.
The marketing has been atrocious.
Well, this tour has been a bit better.

>but
>prospective new fans don't care because there is nothing out that is on the

>radio.

There is constantly Who on the radio...classic rock stations.
I think it's safe to say that even a really good song off a new album
wouldn't hit progressive stations.

>They had a goal and some songs that came as a result of their 6 year
>labor.

All we know is that Roger has written a "couple" of songs.
Pete stated that he wouldn't write unless absolutely necessary.

>You mentioned future generations digging into their past.  Nothing
>will cause future generations to take notice more than a hit album, and
this
>album can be made because they have many taking notice now as a result of
>this tour.

A "hit" album isn't made due to people taking note.  It's made by the band,
a band that now is missing a HUGE portion of The Who's sound (John).
The negative side of people "taking notice" is that if the album is bad, or
just too different from the Who they've known, it will be trashed along with
The Who's reputation.

>They also have a kick ass band and Pete Townshend.

Agreed.

>Even John's
>death brought them incredible press that could work in their favor.

Hmmm, I see John's death as having brought only negative press.
The shows have brought them mixed press.

>All of
>my friends heard about it. That is why I think that it is now or never.

Yeah, but like Scott's friend, there is instant criticism for going forward.
It's like the "in" thing to do regarding The Who.

I was as charged as anyone about the future prior to John's passing.
But, John passed.
And with that passing, went all momentum.
This last tour was a "show must go on for John" tour.
Hell, even Roger is now all uncertain about the future.  Per Roger, "it's
day to day".
It's been my consistent thinking that once the tour is over, the true
gravity of John's loss will be coming to terms for DT.  It's starting
already on their days off.
I just can't see them going into the studio without John and with a Pete
that was quite pessimistic even *prior* to John's death.  I also don't think
it's a good idea.
I have to agree with Schrade here and say let it lie.

Let's say for a moment that Pete and Roger put together a HUGE hit of an
album that challenges the past glories of WN (yeah, right!).
Even if they accomplish *that* (not gonna happen), it will still be tinged
by the continuation without half the original band.
It's the steepest of uphill climbs to make.  A climb that would have been
steep even riding all the momentum that was there prior to John's death.

>>CFNY was the consummation.  That could have easily been the last hurrah
and
>>sent our boys into history as the rightful kings they are.
>
>I really have to agree with this. Had I not seen them on this current tour
>however, I may  be holding onto  this view instead of the one that I have.
>(Did that make sense?)

Yep it did.  But, is that really a bad view?  That view at least includes
John.
Mark isn't so far off track as some might want to paint.
This tour has been great, I've enjoyed the shit out of it, and I wish Mark
had been able to join us in Boston to not just hang out with fans (god bless
him for that desire. Let's not forget he is one of the originators of Who
Fests) but to also witness this band and let it help in the grieving process
like it did for the rest of us (although I *completely* understand why he
*couldn't*).  But, this tour was what it was....A tour to say goodbye to
John. A tour for us to appreciate what was lost, and join together with the
band to help us all (band included) grieve.

>And how do we know that what they may come out with won't  be good?

We don't. But, like I wrote above, even if it's great, it will have a
negative mark (lower case on that "m" in mark ;-) of a certain degree.  It's
like starting off way in the negative category.  Alot to overcome.

>They sure
>as hell sound good live.

God, Hershey rocked.

>Who knows, Maybe the chemistry will work.

Not as well without John.

>Maybe
>Roger will be able to step forward.

You mean in song writing?  I'm not holding my breath for *that*
NO OFFENSE ROGER!

>Maybe Pete will feel better about not
>having to put two or three John songs on the album.

Did he ever feel bad about that?

>I have no idea.  These
>are all hypotheticals.

Yeah, I know.  I don't have an idea either.
That's what will make things interesting after the tour, followed by what I
fear will be a looooong and uncertain silence.

I just can't get my mind around a new album. Not now. Not after all this
time, all that opportunity lost.
I..just..can't..get with it.
To me, this is a turning point.
John's death is the catalyst for change.
It can't be The Who anymore.
It just can't.
Can it?

Kevin in VT