The Best (w/ John Entwisle); Japan concert, 9/26/90

File this show under the heading "Hidden Gem".  Discovering shows like
as this is what keeps collecting fun........

I've been busy transferring my video collection (w/ some other collector's
tapes) onto DVD lately, when I stumbled on this tape from a friend which
was mixed in with some other Who video commons and rarities on a tape
simply labeled:

"The Best" - Yokohama, Japan 9/26/90.   Hmmmm.....

I had never heard of the group or project and didn't know what to expect,
but after seeing that it featured JE and viewing the concert, this has
become an instant favorite of mine -- surely for many others too.  It's a
filmed concert from the short-lived supergroup with the principals
consisting of John Entwistle, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Joe Walsh, Keith
Emerson and Simon Phillips. The group apparently grew out of late-night
jams at LA's China Club in 89-90 and they perform a mixture of well-known
Who/ Eagles/ Steely Dan and ELP classics.

This is simply one of the best looking and sounding shows I own.  It's
exceptionally recorded, which is a bonus as each musician is captured very
clearly and warmly.

All the material is played aggressively, suiting John's style just fine and
this results in a lot of added muscle to the classics.  It's great to hear
him provide his signature bass-runs and counter runs to many of the
numbers, especially to the Steely Dan material (just imagine what he does
to the beefy basslines in Reelin' in the Years or Bodhisattva)
and the throbbing bass on Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way. There's an
extended jam on Life in the Fast Lane (no doubt LITFL on Eagles' boards!)
which evolves into an AJ/ Sparks patterned frenzy.  John's very prominent in
the mix -- maybe here he could get away with turning up his amps to blast
away with this bunch (hell, Emerson's behind him, Baxter's got headphones
on while playing next to him, and Walsh on the other side of the stage --
I doubt that he cared).

JE is featured throughout, getting a lot of camera time -- much more than a
typical Who video (and on an additional video side note, he was virtually
ignored by the cameras/ producers for Pittsburgh/ 95/ DST show I just
previewed -- this despite easily being the second most notable musician
on the stage!).  There are several featured bass solos, including a great
one with Simon on drums during a break in ELP's Fanfare for the
Common Man -- good stuff.

Each member gets turns in the spotlight -- Baxter's guitar sizzles (he sits
on a swivel, barstool-type chair for most of the show) and Emerson has his
massive vintage Moog set up from the early 70's, with the
"console O' plug-ins" (yeah he does climb on top of it and beat it up a
bit at one point) and Simon Phillips is powerful throughout.  There are
added interviews with each member (John says something to the
effect "that we hope to tour again next year (1991), but plan to have an
album out first").

Tracks:

Seven Bridges
Life in the Fast lane
My Wife
Bodhisattva
Fanfare for the Common Man
Rikki Don't Lose That Number
Rocky Mountain Way
Too Late the Hero
America
Boris the Spider (4-5 mins w/ extended rave-up)
Reelin' in the Years
Taking it to the Streets

88 mins./ Pro-shot

Hidden gem, under-rated, lost-classic -- whatever.  This is a keeper.

Todd