Re: Cobain Disses Pete in New Book

In a message dated 10/22/02 11:46:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us writes:

> I just want as many humans on this planet as possible to get turned onto
> the Who's music.  Why should I care?  Because they're fucking brilliant,
> that's why.  I tell people about good restaurants, too.

For Rizzle. I feel the same way.

That is why I am such a big supporter of what they have been doing lately on
this tour.  I did *not* like that spooky dude backstage playing lead electric
for Pete back in '89. I'll admit I lost a bit of respect after seeing that.
But it was enjoyable nonetheless, especially if you were not a "rock critic."
 It was what it was.

But...
As far as the Legacy goes, I believe that Jeff's point is that (and he is big
enough to speak for himself) a "Legacy" shouldn't be the factor that shuts
down a band's creativity or present life for that matter. They can tour if
they damn well want to and they can do what they are the best in the world at
doing.  There will be mistakes and second guessing.  That is life.  If you
are always pandering to the "experts" then it is all bullshit anyhow.  Pete
and Roger *rock*. They do it from the heart and are not fake.  That is what
draws me to them.

Pete had a genuine hearing problem in '89  (and still does) and it was
something he HAD to deal with.  He cared about John enough to take a "risk"
to keep him from debtors prison.  I dig that. We talk about missing John and
the "real" Who.  He supported John with his difficult decision that cost him
plenty in many ways. He gave blood but blood was not enough, I guess.  This
wasn't just talk!!  Fuck the legacy. He won my respect as a human being. He
still rocked his ass off on acoustic anyhow.

There is a lot of negative things to say about Led Zeppelin too if you look
for it.  We're not talking about Milli Vanilli here. They just appeal to a
broader taste. The Beatles do too. They have a sound that many people like.
The Who has a more focused sound that we like because that is what we like.
What the band does is not that important.  The Who are HUGE in the eyes of
real musicians.  The ones with negative comments are just the pricks.
Generally speaking, critics don't buy albums, fans that like the music do.
Our "job" is to counter the pricks with statements like Scott's.

Kurt Cobain quit when it got too hard.  Pete did not jump off that ledge.
"Somebody saved him."  He is now still here. He did not give up.  I LOVE
that!!

Jon in Mi.