Re: Letting Pete go

In a message dated 10/16/2002 10:53:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:
> The reason Pete left was because he could no> longer write Who songs. Since that time, his message has been constant and> clear: He would rather be doing other things than Who projects. Now,> according to his latest post, he's going to approach his professional life> with a more relaxed attitude (drinking again?) and go with the flow. Pete> does not really want to make an album with Roger; he's only going to try> because he feels he owes it to Roger.  Maybe it's time for > Roger (and us) to> let him go.
I have to take issue with a few things here.  Firstly, in the grand scheme of things, Pete has not had to spend much time on Who projects since 1982.  In twenty years he has done a few charity gigs, the 1989 tour, the 1996 Quad tour (which he WANTED to do as technology finally caught up to what he probably considers his finest work with the Who), and the 2000 and 2002 Tours.  That leaves a vast expanse of time to sail, write his own solo material, work on broadway Tommy, etc, etc.  Pete can write for whomever he wants.  I don't buy that he was ever unable to write for the Who or for Roger.  He was certainly burned out on it, but not unable (just unwilling).  Who could blame him?  1963-1982 is a long haul for any band.  If Pete Townshend wants to do it, then he and Roger should go for it.  If his heart isn't in it, then we still have a wide array of the best rock music ever written to choose from.  I certainly don't blame Roger for pushing Pete.  If he doesn't ask, then there is no chance for anything new.  It's clear that Roger's heart is very much in it.  He knows that his best work has been with Pete, and I believe Pete's best work has been with Roger singing (no slight intended toward Pete's solo stuff, but what he has written for the Who is superior, IMHO).
mc