From: Sroundtable@aol.com
To: TheWho@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Who Are They and electrocution (first gig)
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 01:53:59 -0400

In a message dated 10/8/2002 9:53:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Witch? Warlock?
>
> Worse!!!
>
> Scott's a sicko. Sum-beach is predictin' *mc's*
> electrocution and
> torturin' the recently deceased at his funeral.
>
> AEB~

Well, we debuted and it was a rousing success. No electrocutions. Good crowd at Mellow Mushroom, many of them friends and aquaintances. Despite having a bad sinus cold for most of the day, my voice held up (mostly adrenaline). Drummer kicked ass, as he always does. Best part of our band. A few rough spots, but we were having fun and accepted the screw ups and got through it. Sound was overall good and we got a lot of compliments. Many were along the lines of, "Man, we thought ya'll were gonna suck. That was pretty good." We'll take it. For those who care, here is a run down of the show:

1. I Can't Explain... went very well, but alas it is a very easy song. Our backing vocalist went nuts, but it worked.

2. Magic Bus... Kicked ass. Everyone was into it. I forgot the words to the second verse, going blank right after "thank you driver for gettin me here." I waited a few beats and just sung the line again and got the words right.

3. Tommy Medley... Sparks w/Capt Walker vocals worked well. Amazing Journey was solid, but guitarist struggled in a spot or two. Not bad, though. Guitarist had to grind through a few stumbles in Pinball, but it's a fun song and the crowd gets into it. I can tell all of you that he has a new respect for Pete Townshend as a guitarist. I'm Free rocked the house as our finisher. Everyone clicked.

4. Paranoid (B Sabb)... I still don't have the lyrics down, so as I intro-d the song I pointed out the lines to the song I had written on the back of my hand. I botched a few of them, but got thru it. I apologized to any fans of Black Sabbath for not getting the lyrics right. People liked it, however. An Ozzy fan came up to us and said, "Kick ass Ozzy cover."

5. My Generation... things were going great until the guitarist broke a string just as we were getting into the extended jam, so we went ahead with just the bass, and the guitarist used his wa-wa pedal and improvised. It was good experience.

People afterwards were telling us they couldn't believe it was our first gig. I attribute this to one simple thing: the music of the Who is fucking awesome. If played with even a minimum of competance, it sounds great. That's Pete Townshend, the greatest rock musician of all time. Just like the line from "Almost Famous": "No one knows what rock and roll is. Well maybe Pete Townshend, but no one else."

And for those thinking I'm tooting my own horn, all of the above is 100% truth, with no exaggeration. I know this was long winded, but my adrenaline is still pumping from living a dream last night. Rip me if you like, AEB, et al... you can't bring me down off this cloud tonight.

mc