Re: Tommy the movie, totally

I think the opening showing the chaos of a bomb attack in urban London is
very well done

Alan:

For instance, the scene with the dancers running up to the camera, the third looking "offstage," was very well done. The dancing, the goodbye at the train...all harkening back to films of the period.

The synchronization of the tourists at Bernie's Holiday Camp is a nod to stage plays, musicals most notably. It also incorporates many elements of 40's - 50's activity and society, British at least but not exclusively. This is true throughout the movie, especially including the "Do You Think It's Alright" parts. Also I think it's worth mentioning that Oliver Reed is brilliant as Uncle Frank...everyone can see how evil he is EXCEPT Nora.

ecstacy, until Oliver Reed unfortunately opens his mouth;

Speaking of strong images, when Frank and Nora are yelling at young Tommy, it's a very effective bit. It might be the most realistic part of the movie.

Amazing Journey is all great...it might be the most powerful part of the movie. I know it affects me every time I watch it, when Tommy turns away from his parents.

I thought the device of having Tommy sing alone for the first time, while
blocking out the others' voices in Christmas was very effective

And then the Christmas scene almost brings a tear to me eye. It's all the beauty and the beast...Frank's nature is out in the open for even Nora to see, although she accepts it in other parts of the movie. I personally get a kick out of Tommy's rejection of the nativity...but I'm no fan of organized religion. The same effect comes to me with Eyesight, and I do love the revision of the song too. There, too, we see the crippled...a reference to the fact that theater managers used to bring cripples up to the front of the audience, back in the early days. As a side note, John Lennon had a real problems with this and used to mock them on stage (you can see it on Anthology videos, where he "claps hands and stamps feet" and his various "faces" he makes at the camera).

Cousin Kevin was absolutely brilliant. You've covered AQ. Moon is also fantastic as Uncle Ernie, and I love the egg in the beer followed by the smile. And the private eye nod by Frank in his return.

I thought the Champagne sequence was brilliant not only in its references
to the Sell Out cover in particular and its spirit in general

Also I think it's worth noting the bottle in the TV, because Moon had a champagne bottle thrown through a wall framed in his house. As you note, there's a number of Who History references here, as well as in other parts of the movie.

There's A Doctor is hilarious, with lowbrow Frank assuming the Upper Class lifestyle (Nora is better suited for it), with the pheasent and bottle...but, as in the next scene, his lower class mentality comes out. And in Go To The Mirror they're giving a nod to a style and genre of romance movies, with the interaction between Nora and the Doc.

The TV Station scene is a great observation of how religion is marketed. And music, and movies, and everything really.

The end...is weak. It's not how I envisioned it, before the movie. I have always thought the followers made Tommy deaf dumb and blind for real, and then he finds what he needs inside and not out...but as a way to bring it all back to the beginning, it's not horrible. And you've got to love Daltrey silouhetted against the sun.

There's more I could say...much more, but I have to go open my store. At least I hope those who write this movie off might give it another look, with a less predjudiced eye.

This means YOU, Lew!

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML