Re: Kurt Cobain (no Who)

> > Sure there was a conspiracy.....a conspiracy by Lee Harvey Oswald to
> > shoot the President. That's all.

> How in the hell do you know that?

I don't *know* it for fact.  I can't.  It's just my opinion based on what
I've read & seen.  You may be right.  But I could be right, too.

I've only read a handful of books on the Kennedy assassination....some pro-
conspiracy, others against the idea.  One thing I've learned is that human
beings have a hard time accepting the fact that something horrible can
happen
because of a simple, uncomplicated reason (i.e. Oswald was a crazed loner).
They *want* to believe in things like conspiracies because ironically it
makes them feel more safe & in control.

Why?  Because *not* believing in conspiracies means things are happening
randomly & for no apparent, understandable reason.  Humans don't like to
believe things happen for no reason.  It's much easier & comforting for them
to believe things are orchestrated, controlled, & purposeful.

It's the same reason people believe in religion.  No one wants to think his
or her life here on Earth is meaningless & without purpose.  There *must*
be a reason for it all.  Hence, we invented God (any "God"), so we'd feel
more secure & less adrift.  Humans demand a reason.  Cause & effect.  But
Nature doesn't work that way.  Sometimes in Nature there are no reasons or
explanations.  Humans don't like that.

> as far as the questioning existence of UFOs and/or alien technology,
> that's just the arrogance of mankind talking.

You've got it backwards, my friend.  It's mankind's arrogance that leads
us to believe that aliens would *want* to abduct our citizens, run tests,
probe, study, etc.  Wow, we must really be the shit if aliens are so in-
terested in us!

> Although you didn't question the existence,

Right.  I'm not saying life doesn't exist elsewhere in the universe, in
fact, I believe it probably does....in abundance.  I'm just not egotistical
enough to believe that the human race here on Earth is so special as to
warrant abductions by aliens who I'm sure would have better, more
beneficial,
ways to spend their time.  Again, it's the human want & desire to believe
our lives are somehow special & meaningful.  Hell, we're so special & im-
portant that aliens are studying us!  Talk about hubris!

> Well, the funny thing about that is I know a woman who was either abducted
> by a UFO or her family had a mass dillusion.

That is funny, actually.  And mass *delusions* do occur & are documented all
the time.  Just a couple of months ago, an entire village in India was
claiming that glowing orbs of light were floating around & burning people as
the slept in their beds at night.  They had people out standing guard watch
ing & waiting for the glowing orbs at night!  Funnily enough, after a few
weeks the reports ceased.  There are documented stages of mass hysteria,
too.
It always begins with one or two "reports," grows, peaks, & subsides after
a few weeks or months.

The Salem witch trials in the 1600's are another example of mass hysteria,
too.

> They have been here, it's rather obvious.

Question:  Why aren't UFO sightings & abductions reported by the thousands
of amateur astronomers around the world who are constantly looking up at
the night sky, night after night after night?  Those people never seem to
see anything.  However, Farmer Brown from out in the country sure seems to
be spotting all kinds of weird shit in the sky!

> Assuming that we as humans know all there is to know about science,
> astrology and physics is rather arrogant wouldnt you think?

Of course it is.  I never said we do know *everything.*  But the fact of the
matter is that most humans know very *little* about science.  And it's
*astronomy* not astrology.  Humans invented astrology so I should think they
*do* know all there is about *that* branch of "pseudoscience."

> Anyway, hope you don't find my tone insulting or harsh, none of this
> is intended as personal attacks or anything. Just a friendly retort in
> defense of a student, not a conspiracy theorist.

I understand completely.  I have several close friends who believe in
aliens, abductions, & the like.  And we often have discussions/arguments
over a few beers.  I *love* talking about this shit!!  ;-)

I will, however, recommend a book for you to read.  It's called "Why People
Believe Weird Things" by Michael Shermer, & is available through Amazon.com.

> peace
> andy

Peace.

- SCHRADE in Akron