Future and Objective vs. Subjective

>Rick in Maine
>Subject: Tweeter Show and the future
>
>Yes, although I missed all the fun of "Teenage Wasteland".  I hope those
>kids got a stern talking to and a kick in the ass and were allowed to
>witness the history that we all saw.

I've been wondering that too.

>Kevin, you and Jeff are great friends and I've only met you twice!  Ah,
>what love for a band will do, huh?  We need a New Hampshire buddy now so we
>can all hang out in a central location sometime - maybe a Simon gig in the
>near future - let's hope.

I've never seen one.  I *am* interested though.

>Now on to a more serious topic; what happens now?

I haven't got a clue.  Really.
I think the several months or two will be really, really hard on Pete and
Rog.
Pete will be sitting on his sail boat trying to figure it all out.
Rog will be sitting with his fish doing the same, but also wondering what
Pete's thoughts are.
He won't call Pete though.
Won't want to push him, for fear of pissing him off.
It's all up to Pete.
Always has been, always will be.

I think the questions that Pete will be asking himself is "will my new
project do better presented as a solo Pete project, or as a "who" project.
And, does doing my new pet project that I'm really psyched about and care
very much about with 'The Who' cause it to potentially be lost under all the
baggage and muck that will associate with "continuing The Who".
Is that worth it?  Should I tighten the jib sail a bit?  Why should I bother
subjecting myself and my great work to all the crap that will be said if I
let Rog and the rest help present this?
Can I do it on my own?  Do I have the draw?  Was that just a wind shift?
Fuck, coming about!
Fuck, all the pros and cons to consider.  Hell, I'll think about it
later....later....later....later....later....

<Time marches on, the moment is lost????????????????????????????>

>From: "T. Andrew Finn" <afinn@gmu.edu>
>Subject: post-tour musings
>
>Hi. My name is Andy.

Hi Andy, welcome.
Please don't take my reply personally.
I simply don't agree with some of your premise here.

>"I say subjective impression because I think most fans
>>(and reviewers, for that matter) are mistaken if they believe they can
>>objectively compare shows.

A show is both, an objective event, and a subjective emotional experience.
The people on stage are really there, and they really are playing individual
notes.
This can be (and has always been) compared.

Within every tour there are some shows that are *objectively* better than
others.
There are some shows that *objectively* just are not so good (relatively
speaking).
I find myself flip-flopping from allowing myself to just soak it up
(subjectively), to sitting (not really) back and dissecting the play of the
band (objectively).
I'm into music.  I play music.  That's what I do.  I hear notes, and jams,
and compare them to other notes and jams I've heard.  I'm not an audiophile,
but I am a musicphile.
I've played concerts where I've smoked.  I've played concerts where I've
simply sucked.
I've had nights where I wanted to stamp an impression on the head of
everyone in attendance, and I've had nights where I just wanted to get home
and chill.  I'm sure some could tell.

>Every fan is
>under the influence of a variety of subjective factors that we usually fail
>to consider, except in passing...." and some other good stuff.

AMEN Brotha!
But if you're consistent in this approach ;-) than that doesn't apply to
your argument.

>From: "Jeff House" <whocasa@adelphia.net>
>Subject: post-tour musings
>
>How can I compare my Mansfield/Boston II experience to any other concert
>experience?

Experience = Subjectivity.
And, to answer you, you can't.  That was one hell of an experience you had.
I'm envious.  While I was in a damn good position to witness it all, down to
the expressions of everyone involved, I wasn't involved.  So, while at the
same show, your experience was better than mine or even mine at Hershey.
But, objectively (cause I can be objective even if others want to believe
they can't) I know what show impressed me.  And, I even can look past what
influence I'm under, and where my seats are.
It's not that hard.  Try it sometime.
BTW, I'm more than a bit insulted that you didn't cc your post to the shout
to igtc or o&s.
It was a great experience that should have been shared with us too!

>That doesn't discount my opinion (IMO) of the show, but it
>does color it - big time.

So you *DO* have an objective opinion of the show.  Now, just try and remove
your subjective experience.

>I think the question should not be "how to compare" but "why to compare".

Why do men climb mountains?  Why do people keep logs of all shows?  Why do
the members of the band themselves think about what show they were "on" and
what show they were "off".
The answer....It's there.....or, cause you can and it's objective.
It's that easy.

Final thought:
Objective comparisons should *NEVER* get in the way of a Subjective
experiences.

Kevin in VT
(getting off my chair).