Re: Drugs & RnR and Detroit review

I agree, Mark - but I also don't understand why people still smoke
cigarettes either.

Rick:

I think it's because one can smoke and still function normally in society...as opposed to heroin, for instance. It just doesn't seem as deadly or consuming I guess because it takes so long to kill.

Thanks for reading.

Neil:

I had decided not to review Detroit regarding performance...but what you wrote pretty much sums it up, so there you are. I admit that like you I might have standards higher than I should (but I don't think so, because it was The Who which gave me those standards). Townshend is clearly better on Detroit than ever, so as a live Townshend event it soars. Daltrey, on the other hand, is a bit weaker than 2000. Zak too seemed to suffer the absence of John. His playing seems more subdued and typical. Pino is as you said studio-worthy, but that's not MY Who. It is particularly apparent on the bass solo of My Generation. Very clean and not grungy.

The sound quality is pretty good, not great. The mix is unexpected, because the bass and guitar are both in the middle, and that may be intentional to cover Pino. It works but it doesn't sound like a Who mix. A regular Rock fan would be satisfied with this show. It's got all the hits, and nothing unexpected. It does what it was supposed to do: reflect the Who live show from this tour. And before I get a bunch of negative feedback on this review, when you're in the venue with other excited Who fans, the energy transmits itself. Obviously that wasn't included on the CD.

While listening, I was struck by a particular song. Another Tricky Day. The lyrics that touched me:

"You can't always get higher just because you aspire
You could expire even knowing.
Don't push the hands just hang on to the band
And you can dance while your knowledge is growing

(It could happen anytime) You can't expect to never cry
(Patience is priceless) Not when you try to fly so high
(Just stay on that line) Rock and roll will never die
(This is no social crisis) This is you having fun

And, for me, this is what this tour represents. Just having fun with Rock N Roll music at a concert. Which is less than I want, I should say NEED, from The Who. "You could expire even knowing." "It can happen any time." That seems to be a rationale to continue without John. This song was a good choice, considering the circumstances.

To interject here, the Detroit show takes off after the Quad set (brilliant
piano on LROM) and they finally hit their stride on TKAA until the end. CD 2
is superior to CD 1.

Jon:

And to be fair, I paid more attention to the first disc. I've heard these songs SO many times before...

Haven't you ever encountered an artist, who has
a gift, but doesn't want to go "mainstream".....or an even better
characterization would be "selling out". That is how I would describe Kurt
Cobain.

Johanna:

He could have found a more courageous way to deal with it...like retiring or going underground for a while or doing a duet with Britney Spears to destroy his career, or something. He didn't "go mainstream" any more than Pearl Jam "sold out." The mainstream came to his music. A lot of us would have loved and appreciated the opportunity he had, and not thrown it away in a tizzy of self-absorption.

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML