Re: Who's God (Who's Catalog in a Biblical Context)

Citizen Kane wrote:

>>In support of Helen's comments to Joe, there are two primary messages in
>>the Old Testament and the New Testament regarding the eternal existance of
>>God.

>>Helen is right when she suggest that folks should actually READ the Bible
>>before coming to a conclusion on many of these topics. This is a daunting
>>task and as a result many just skip the reading and form their own opinions
>>based on (a) what they remember reading (b) what they remember being taught
>>in a house of worship (c) pseudo religion picked up from the movies, books,
>>etc.

>You're correct that this discussion shouldn't be about hearsay, nor should
>it be about JUST reading the Bible--it's necessary to understand what you're
>reading in this book. The Bible was written by (sinful) men, whether or not
>they were inspired by God, and it's limited for this reason.  This
>limitation means we can't say that it's any more correct about the nature of
>God or finding a way to him than the writings of Maher Baba, for example, or
>even Pete Townshend. It all depends on your point of view and how you want
>to structure your beliefs.

Kane:

Very good post about the origins of the Bible.  The modern version of the
book (take your pick on what version) is a lot like The Who's catalog
compilations over the last 37 years.

The content is pulled together from various
sources over several years (millennia in the Bible's case), and the content
may or may not even relate.   For example the 30 Years of Maximum R&B is
more complete than the Untimate Collection, and the latter is more complete
than The Who's Greatest Hits, which is more complete than say Meaty Beaty
Big and Bouncy.

You're more able to fit We're Not Gonna Take It from TOMMY in with
QUAD (because the author of the story and the songs is the same person,
however the subject matter is very different), then say combining
some of the Old and New testament passages.

If you're at all interested in the history of human civilization, the
Bible cannot be ignored.   Planning one's day or life by it is another
thing.

Joe in Philly

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.