[no subject]

Who are you?
By Amy Reiter

Nov. 11, 2002  |  People try to put him down just
because he gets around. But Pete Townshend would like
to us all to know that he gets around only with women,
despite what you may have heard.

The longtime rumors about him being gay, he tells the
upcoming issue of Stuff magazine, started, as far as
he can tell, around the time he released the song
"Rough Boys," back in 1980.

"'Rough Boys' was a sarcastic song about the punks in
England dressing the same way as American homosexual
men," he explains to the aggressively hetero men's
mag. "I did an interview that referred to my 'gay
life.'"

But, he says, he wasn't talking about his gay life.

"I was talking about the fact that many of my friends
have been gay, so the interviewer assumed I was coming
out," he says.

He also thinks his assertion that he knows "what it
feels like to be a woman" might have had something to
do with the misconception.

"We all have feminine aspects to our personalities,"
he says. "I was just willing to admit it."

He won't get fooled again.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!