Re: Pete...God...and who cut the cheese.

> > You're right.  And science doesn't profess to know what caused
> > the Big Bang, either.  Or if in fact it even needed a cause.

> Ahh, so you're still open to all possibilities?

Wherever the observational, experimental evidence leads....I will
follow.

> I thought one of the main principles in science is that matter can
> not be created or destroyed?  Is this concept now outdated?

Elementary particles "popping in & out of existence" doesn't equate
with matter being "created or destroyed."  The overall energy "bal-
ance sheet" remains the same.  There isn't any conflict.

> This is interesting...and fuzzy...stuff.

Nature is gorgeous, isn't she?

> > The Big Band *created* all space & time (space-time).

> Isn't this still just theory?

Yes, but a "theory" in science is a *well-tested* description of nat-
ural events.  The word "theory" has negative connotations in layman's
terms.  It almost equates to a "guess."

But that's not what it means in scientific terms.  A "theory" in sci-
ence very, very close to a truth.  It's an assumption which has stood
up to observation, experimentation, *and* enables scientists to make
testable *predictions* which will confirm or refute the theory.

> Who cut the big cheese to create the gases?

Human conditioning demands a cause for every action.  It's raining,
so it must be cloudy.  I have a black eye, someone must've punched me.

But Nature doesn't conform to our humanistic concepts.  Humans look
for patterns in life; Nature is random.

People think, "OK, there was a Big Bang.  Well, who lit the fuse?  Who
constructed the explosive material," etc?

No one had to light the fuse of the Big Bang.  There was no fuse to
light.  Nothing, NOTHING, existed before that moment.  All matter, all
gases, all stars, all galaxies, all Who albums were formed *after* the
Big Bang.

> > We *are* literally star dust.

> You're not going to break into song, are you?

The song is over.  You missed it.  Be thankful.  I can't sing.

> > Again, there was no "first thing."  The Big Bang created everything.
> > Nothing existed before that moment.  Not even time.

> Again, theory, right?

Sure, just like the Theory of Gravity.  Got a problem with gravity?
Maybe we shouldn't teach *that* one in schools, either!

> The theory of something from nothing seems to fly against the
> principle of matter not being able to just be created.

No, it flies against the principle of your humanistic instincts.  Re-
member:  Nature doesn't give a monkey's about our preconceptions.  She
works on her own terms.

> I guess it would be God or the gas?

My bet would be on the gas as I don't believe in the existence of a
God.

> Yes, but Pete makes it *very* clear that he himself believes in
> a higher power.  A God.

So does my Dad but that doesn't mean I don't respect him & love him.
I don't look to Pete for advice on the afterlife.  I look to Pete
for great songs (which don't preach) & great guitar playing.

> That's cool.  So it's like "I hear ya Pete, works for you, but not
> necessarily for me.  Keep pounding on that SG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ?

Sort of, but it's not that....primal (although that's part of it).
I get a high dose of intellectualism from Pete's writing, too.  In
fact, that, to me, is more important that the "rockin' out" thing.
Anyone can rock out.  Not everyone can be intelligent, insightful,
challenging, & unique when it comes to their ideas & writing.

> How does your "Science is the answer" fit into his stated (not
> forced) beliefs though?

I'm open-minded enough to realize that Pete can be spiritual & still
get me off musically & intellectually.  I don't look to Pete for
spirituality.  Just as I don't look to Pete for scientific insight,
either.  Pete gets me off with his music & words.  In me, that joy &
excitement is kept separate from any opinions I may have on science
or spirituality.  And not on purpose, either.  It just is.

I don't have to preface my listening with thoughts like, "OK, I'm
going to listen to 'The Seeker' now.  Must be careful not to infer
any religious beliefs."  Have me locked up if I start doing that.

> Digging this thread BTW.

Me, too!

- SCHRADE in Akron