Pete...God...and who cut the cheese.

>From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us>
>Subject: Re: A question (or two) for Scott (Mr. Darwinism)
>
>> But Science does not have an explanation for what the very
>> first spark was that created the big bang,
>
>You're right.  And science doesn't profess to know what caused
>the Big Bang, either.  Or if in fact it even needed a cause.

Ahh, so you're still open to all possibilities?

>Quantum physics has proven that elementary particles of matter
>pop in & out of existence all the time.  Sounds weird, I know,
>but it's been proven in experiment after experiment.  Quantum
>fuzziness, it's referred as.

I thought one of the main principles in science is that matter can not be
created or destroyed?
Is this concept now outdated?
It's been a while since my Chemistry and Bio days.
This is interesting...and fuzzy...stuff.

>> or created the gases that caused the big bang.
>
>This is a common misconception.  The Big Bang didn't happen
>*within* a pre-existing space.  The Big Band *created* all space
>& time (space-time).

Isn't this still just theory?

>Asking what was there before the Big Bang
>is like asking where *you* were before your parents conceived
>you.  It's a nonsensical question.

Yes, but I had parents!

> (Don't take this analogy too
>far - I'm not saying the Big Bang had parents!)

Never mind.

>All the gases created in the Big Bang (roughly 75% of which was
>hydrogen, 25% helium, & minute traces of lithium) went on to form
>the first generation of stars.

Who cut the big cheese to create the gases?

>We *are* literally
>star dust.

You're not going to break into song, are you?

>Again, there was no "first thing."  The Big Bang created everything.
>Nothing existed before that moment.  Not even time.

Again, theory, right?

>The Big Bang occurred & space-time expanded to where it is now.

The theory of something from nothing seems to fly against the principle of
matter not being able to just be created.

>That would explain the smell of my socks.

So God was in my Jeep this summer on our Who Tour???
Holly smelly socks Bat Man!!!!!!!!!

>> Seriously, what/who came first...the ______ or the ________.
>I don't know what you're asking here.  You would have to fill in
>the above blanks.

I guess it would be God or the gas?

>The only time Pete's writing makes me cringe a bit
>is when he gets *very* literal about Meher Baba (mainly in some of
>his more obscure solo material).

Yeah, I've never been all too into his prayers and such.

>Pete's not dumb.  He says, "I have to be careful not to preach."
>And he generally sticks to that.  His writing is vague enough (in
>a good way) to offer different interpretations.   Pete's smart enough
>not to pigeon-hole his concepts & ideas.

Yes, but Pete makes it *very* clear that he himself believes in a higher
power.  A God.
(hoping others better versed in Baba-dome speak up here with insight.)

>No, he's impressed me & touched me with his writing so far.... It
>ain't broke, so why fix it?  I don't expect everyone to think like I
>do.

That's cool.  So it's like "I hear ya Pete, works for you, but not
necessarily for me.  Keep pounding on that SG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ?

>Seriously, I just don't
>hear Pete's spiritual songs as commands for me to accept his beliefs.

Oh, I don't either!  He lays it out for people to take or to leave.  I
respect that approach.

>Like I said, his writing is beautifully vague; I stretch my own life
>experiences comfortably over his lyrics & everything fits just fine.

How does your "Science is the answer" fit into his stated (not forced)
beliefs though?

>However, there is a line in "Baba O'Riley" that I sometimes sing out
>with a bit more gusto:  "I don't need to be forgiven!!"  ;-)

Funny!  I tend to belt that one out to.
That, and "It's all here in my head.  Nothing more needs to be said!"

Digging this thread BTW.

Kevin in VT