Re: Pete's uncut version of Cobain review

> I can't help but feel that by deleting the above, The Observer is
> in a way trying to perpetuate a generational feud between Pete and
> Kurt.

But they also deleted the following:

"With respect to my academic ambitions for it, this book is a travesty.
Kurt hated and despised the academia of rock, but we both helped to
build it, and I am rather more enthusiastic about it."

I think if they wanted to perpetuate a feud, as you say, they would've
left that in - especially the first line.

Notice Pete's use of the term "academic ambitions."  Remember, he start-
ed out by saying he hoped this book would enable him "to look behind the
creative process of Kurt Cobain."

He says in the deleted passage that "With respect to my academic ambit-
ions for it, this book is a travesty."

In other words:  I thought this book was going to be full of intelli-
gent (Pete uses "academic") insight but instead it's full of "infantile
scribblings."

Then, still in the deleted passage, he says that even though Cobain
"hated and despised the academia of rock" (i.e. he didn't feel rock was
in any way an intelligent art form), he ironically helped build the idea
that rock can be something greater, something higher.

That's almost like saying Cobain was too stupid to realize that he was
helping to create what he wanted to destroy.  So that's another thinly-
veiled jab that was edited out.

And finally, again, still in the deleted passage, comes the ultimate not-
so-thinly-veiled jab.  With regard to the "academia of rock" (i.e. the
*intelligence* or *loftiness* of rock), Pete says, "I am rather more
enthusiastic about it."

Now one might think Pete is just saying he has higher *hopes* for rock,
but I read it as Pete saying he sets higher *standards* for *his* brand
of rock; unlike the "pathetic, lost and heroically stupid" efforts of
Mr. Cobain.

So, not all that was edited out was complimentary.  Some of the harsh-
ness was taken out, too.

God, that Pete Townshend is one deep motherfucker, ain't he?  Phew!

- SCHRADE in Akron