Re: Pete reviews Kurt Cobain's journals

In article <F7737088BF5ED611B51600B0D03D09E5632BC1@mailbox.ascpl.lib.oh .us>,
    "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us>  writes:

> > I couldn't help but keep thinking that this is/can be a whole can
> > of worms opening.  Kind of a battle of generations, if you will.
>
> Well, Mr. Cobain started it.  Too bad.  Besides, I thought Pete ex-
> pressed some admiration for Cobain in the piece, too.  It wasn't com-
> pletely negative.  But, by the same token, it wasn't completely pos-
> itive & gushing, either, the way much of the commentary on Cobain is.

Yes, the piece wasn't entirely negative.  The impression I got was
"gee, this guy had so much potential and promise to be an effective
voice, but instead he chickened out and pissed it all way."

I also agree with Scott that much of the commentary on Cobain reads
like we're talking about St. Christopher or something -- I mean, Nirvana
was an important band for the 90s and the music is great, but the guy
is most definately -not- my idol and his behavior is hardly suitable
for hero status.

Pete's not perfect either and his behavior isn't always one I'd want
to emulate either.  He has his nasty, spiteful side.  He also has the
balls to get up and say the truth, even when its unpopular -- and the
truth about Cobain -is- unpopular.  If you voice the truth about him,
the first words of any response you're likely to get are "yeah, but..."
as if that excuses things.  The thing about Pete is that his better
side -is- an aspiration to something higher, better and bigger than
himself.  Whereas the most inspirational Cobain can seem to be is a
desire to be not so fucked up a person.

Actually, that's the difference I see between Pete and -many- pop/rock
stars; Pete does actually aspire to something bigger than himself.  In
doing that he inspires me to be a part of something bigger than
myself.  Nirvana is great rock-n-roll, but it doesn't inspire me
towards anything other than not being a depressed suicidal junkie.
--
  Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/>
    izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer