Who references lately - The tally grows!

	>From: "Schrade, Scott"
	>Subject: Re: Who references lately - The tally grows!

>It's gotta have something to do with Pete letting the media know
>that certain songs of his are available to use.  I don't know if
>Pete has an agent that does that or what, but it can't just be in-
>dustry types saying, "You know what we need?  A Who song for this."

I'd bet its a little bit of both.
I mean, the songs are obviously available, and there has to be some
mechanism out there for marketing type folk to find out what's available.
But, ultimately, there is a decision to be made by those marketing folk.  It
has to take into account feel, impact, will this help our goal, will this
reach our intended audience, etc.
The Who is hot as a "reacher outer" to the masses at the moment.

For a casual Who fan (by sheer forced exposure ;-), my wife, to say: "The
music of The Who seems more real, more human, easier to get close to"
......tells me that there really is a "note" that Pete strikes in his
writing.  It's pure.  It's easy.  It's in us all.
>I just can't believe that these people are all get-
>ting the same idea, at the same time, that they want a Who tune for
>their product.

Ooooo, i don't know.  Advertisement is no cheap proposition.  If you're
gonna spend the money, you sure as hell better have done your homework to
make sure that you'll be getting your money worth.
So, that means the songs are investigated, other uses of The Who would be
investigated, etc.

I think it's a really good barometer at the moment of the general public's
affection for the *music* of The Who.

In case you're wondering why I put the emphasis on the music....
I turned my sister onto Who's Next a few months back.
Her response:
Oh, I know many of these songs from the radio.  I never knew these were by
The Who."

<big sigh>

Kevin in VT
"the snow is gonna fall...enough to cover us all!"