Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #152

 >Courtenay Love explains how it is a band has a hit record and ends up in
debt to the record company.

Except she leaves out many factors, all expenses incurred by the label, all the bands they finance who don't make them a penny and they never recoup penny one. What she's calling "profit" for the label is really their gross. How much does it cost to run the label? How much did they lose on the 20 other bands they financed but didn't make it? She's clueless.

And she doesn't appear to be suffering with a convenience store pay lifestyle, does she? What do you want to bet she was smiling when she signed the contract? No one forced her to do it. The Who all seem to have done pretty well under a label, Pearl Jam, Metallica, etc. etc. Who gave former sheetmetal worker Daltrey the money to buy that salmon farm? You can't mean that he bought it with a convenience clerk's salary! And that in a country that taxes to the extreme! It just doesn't add it, this math of hers!

>Interesting article, which leads me to the same conclusion I had
earlier.

I guess if you're willing to ignore facts, you can come to any conclusion you like.
   "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
      president, or that we are to stand by the president
       right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
         but is morally treasonable to the American public."
                            Theodore Roosevelt
               Cheers                 ML