Re: Who's Missing & Two's Missing

>One of the recent complaints about the system is that they're NOT taking
much in the way of chances on new artists. They're putting all the
development money into Ms. Britney's career and killing off their new young
talent with lack of support.

Keets:

Which is another way of saying they take the safest path because they no longer make enough to take risks with new artists thanks to downloading. Which means it would have played out as I said: the Beatles might have been signed (and used up in a few years, and encouraged not to change their sound) but The Who would not have been.

>I think an important question is whether they SHOULD own the music.

The artists have signed a contract which gives them control, maybe I shouldn't have said the labels OWN the music because that's not accurate. No one forced the artists to take this route, and they got compensated for it.

>Getting signed seems to be the only goal of a young band coming up, but they
don't realize the sacrifice that it entails. Record companies are getting
more and more cutthroat with their tactics.

They do what they have to in order to survive.

>And, let me be the first to compliment you on your new address. ;-)

Kevin:

Thanks; it wasn't my first choice but it works.

>Oh, and not a shabby new sig. either.

Yeah, that one goes out to Dick Cheney.

>A local band from around here called DINK (Kent, Ohio) got signed

Scott:

I've had this one in my store.

>So, those big companies may give you a record deal, but if your shit
doesn't sell they're still gonna get some money out of you. Nice, huh?

Yeah? And how much have they gotten from the band formerly known as Dink so far? And what chance do they have to get any?

Like I said, it's a business and if the business doesn't make money then we get no music more advanced than what some guy recording in a basement can post on the web.
   "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
      president, or that we are to stand by the president
       right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
         but is morally treasonable to the American public."
                            Theodore Roosevelt