Re: Who's Missing & Two's Missing

>It is not that simple, but no one seems to remember how many bands (which
>cost the label the same amount of investment money) are not successful for
>every one Britney Spears. 20? 40? No one seems to be willing to consider
>the record companies have taken a financial risk they're more likely than
>not going to lose.

But Ms. Britney was less of a risk than most.  She's a manufactured,
entertainment type act, and those have a high likelihood of success, at
least for a couple of years until the fresh, sparkling, new flavor of the
week comes up.

Where the record companies are making a serious mistake is in investing all
their money in manufactured acts because that takes development money away
from more serious artists that will provide a lasting return on their
investments (e.g. The Who).

>That is why to me people insisting on free music via downloads are acting a
>lot like children who don't realize someone does have to pay for what they
>get "for free." And obviously experience has taught the record companies
>that many bands just stop selling. I can attest to that, it happens all of
>the time with CDs in my store.

Apparently that's become a common phenomenon that's worrying record
companies no end--because they can't predict any longer who's going to
continue to be a hit.  They gave Mariah Carey a huge contract based on her
earlier success last year, and then bought it off when her next album was a
total flop.

It's something undefinable that allows an artist or a band to establish a
loyal following--one that will wait even twenty years for a new album.  ;)

>Besides, Britney is extremely over. A Pepsi commercial will kill anyone's
>career.

Nah.  She's showing signs of being in for the long haul.  She's already
morphed once from virgin to sex goddess.  It'll be interesting to see how
long she can keep it going.

keets