Re: Who's and Two's Missing

Lela, re

> > Those are official releases, so they're collectables.  A burned copy
> > isn't the same thing as the original.

I fully agree with you. I've bid a couple of times on ebay for a copy of
Two's Missing without success.

Who's Missing is of course readily available in the UK as a Canadian
import, for about #10, and I assume readily available in the US too, so
no one should be burning that one.

I have a burned copy of Two's Missing but it feels right that I have an
"official" copy. That's one of the reasons why I'm not over happy about
trading pirates like Instant Party, the My Generation CD or the BBC
sessions CD's.

> > Burning official releases is questionable, too.

Technically and strictly speaking, not wishing to open old threads, it's
illegal, but copying releases like Blues to the Bush and Two's Missing,
being out of print, is debateable. Hooligans and Rarities, too. My best
guess is that yes, something that is definitely OOP is effectively
available to copy and trade, but I would hope that anyone with a copied
OOP album would buy the official release if and when it was re-issued.

There are still releases out there which might be OOP in say the US or
UK which some digging around will reveal, btw.

Join Together for instance, the 1989 live double CD is readily available
in Europe (CDVDT102 from Holland) while it's been deleted in the UK
since 1992 or 1993 (I bought a copy a couple of months ago from Highway
61 in Wolverhampton)

There is a Japanese Rarities CD which brings together the two UK vinyl
albums onto one CD (POCP 2350) so a little digging can reap success.
Sadly though Two's Missing seems to be deleted worldwide so until either
I get lucky on ebay (my last minute strategies seem to be failing!) or
it's re released I will make do with my CDr copy.

> As long as you burn and share, there's no reason to remaster and
> re-issue the old albums.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that all these albums should be rereleased
and pronto, starting with My Generation, but I'm afraid I wouldn't agree
with you that the band should not bother to re release them if everyone
is copying and sharing them. The owner of the work deserves to have his
opportunity to earn from his work!

Cheers,

John