Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #140

In a message dated 5/15/2002 8:57:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< I think the writer of this article needs a little music clinic.  First of
 all, this is not  "another farewell tour."  Nowhere has anyone associated
 with the Who stated that this is a farewell tour.  She hasn't heard the
plans
 for a new studio album and the subsequent tour that likely would follow?
 Secondly, the line "hope I die before I get old" is interpreted WAY to
 literally by FAR too many music critics and writers.  The term "old," i
 believe, refers to an attitude and state of mind.  There are many people of
 an advanced age, whom I would certainly not consider old when it comes to
 attitude.  I don't think Pete Townshend's state of mind is old, at all.
Just
 watch him perform and that myth is dispelled.  Now, mccartney IMHO does come
 off as old.  At CFNYC his personna was not one of a rock musician, but of
 someone's uncle.  The Stones, IMHO, have really sold out.  Proof: that
stupid
 orange blimp with their logo on the side and all of them actually riding in
 it.  UGH!!!!  Publicity can be done without disgracing the tradition of rock
 and roll with a goddamn blimp.  Sorry if I have offended.  It's just an
 opinion.  I'm very happy the Who would never stoop to such depths to promote
 themselves (though i agree with many of you that they need to promote their
 tours better- TV, radio, talk show interviews, etc.).  My impression of the
 Stones is that they continue to over-compensate for their age by purposely
 acting young, and it doesn't really play IMO.  I would, however, pay to see
 them because they still play great music.  Won't mick and keith be relieved.

 mc

Well said mc.........

I too agree that the Stones, even though I like most of their music, are way
over promoted on every tour they do. Why is this??????  And I am glad that
the Who aren't like that, but they do need to do a little more promoting. And
as far as the CFNY - it showed just how great the Who is compared to all
those other acts that were on. Everything from their set list, to their
energy, to their sound were just outstanding and BLEW everyone else off the
stage.

Gloria