Bowie on Pete

From:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/05/13/1021002431619.html

An artist of Bowie's stature has no trouble luring
famous friends into the studio. Moby and Air are
currently working on remixes while Dave Grohl
(Nirvana/Foo Fighters) and Pete Townshend appear on
the album proper. For Bowie, Townshend remains
something ofamentor.

"At least on Scary Monsters, he was actually in the
bloody studio," he says, and laughs. "I think he
downed a bottle of wine, he put it away in those days,
and he did the full windmill with the arm. It was
great. I was looking through the window going, `Look,
it's Pete Townshend'. It was rather fab.

"This time around, it was crazy here [in New York] at
that particular time. The New York concert [a
fundraiser for September 11] was happening. We were
trying to rehearse and record. We all had our own
separate lives outside of that concert, we just didn't
have the time to work together.

"I sent the track Slow Burn over to him. He sent me a
selection of takes, but I took his first take. His
playing is so deeply felt. I really love that solo.
There's a contained anger in it. It's so
representative of Pete."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!