Re: Beatles/Who

>Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 13:30:40 EDT
>From: Sroundtable@aol.com
>
>These are great points, but I want to be armed with stuff that will leave him
>speechless, especially in regard to what major contributions the Who made to
>rock and roll.  He will have the obvious advantage of the Beatles trememndous
>commercial success, so I want to be ready with a bunch of major innovations,
>etc that the Who made.

Pete's generally credited with inventing power chords, and was THE
major exponent of onstage feedback even if technically he didn't
invent it.  Moon vs. Ringo...'nuff said.  John invented bass as a
lead instrument, even building his own at the outset (and he's still
doing it, he had to design his own -- the Buzzard -- to get what he
wanted), Roger was a pioneer of the rock-god frontman image, and the
band itself was one of the first if not the first to deliberately add
movement and visual excitement to their stage show (as opposed to the
Beatles in their matching suits, standing still and bowing after the
show). I'm sure others can come up with other innovations.  But you
know what?  I wouldn't care if they didn't invent a single thing as
long as they produced that music.  (Of course that's contradictory as
the music itself was innovative, but I hope you get my drift.)

>My friend is only 19, so the live argument is sort of lost on him.

Brian had the best comment on this.  Anyway, it is usually a waste of
time to try to DEBATE someone into liking Band A better than Band
B...getting them to admit Band A is better is only slightly easier.
The main point is that The Who stand or fall on their live
performances. Unfortunately, even the best video is nothing like
actually being there, but it's the best we've got to work with. If
your friend is open to take the time to see some video, show him
Amazing Journey/Sparks from Woodstock (also available on The Kids Are
Alright), or choice cuts from the Isle of Wight.  If he won't take
the time, or if he sees the video and still doesn't believe The Who's
contributions to rock, just drop it, he's either simply not going to
get it or he's jerking your chain.

Cheers,
--
Alan