Re: pete vs mccartney

I don't think Pete without The Who could sell out large Venues like
McCartney is doing right now on his tour.

But Who is the more talented musician?  Well, Pete is one of the greatest
guitarists of all time, Paul is not.  Paul was the bassist for the Beatles,
yet Pete would still be a better bassist (didn't he play bass on a
Thunderclap Newman album?).  People aren't asking Paul to play much of
anything on their albums, yet Pete plays on both Jagger and Bowie's new
albums.  Pete is as good a piano player, as well, and also plays banjo
exceptionally well.  I would even say that Pete's voice is in better shape
these days than Paul's.  Pete sounds virtually the same as he did during the
Who's prime.  Pete's songwriting and concept-writing efforts far surpass
anything McCartney ever concocted.  Paul's post-Beatles work has been pretty
pedestrian, really.  Pete hasn't had great commercial success as a solo
artist, but his work has continued to push the envelope, and hasn't been
designed for mainstream acceptance but rather the art of music.  I also don't
think Pete would have stood for the un-talented wife of Roger, John, or Keith
actually making the cover of a 45 and having creative input on a Who album.
Paul was pretty gutless on that one.  Why the hell didn't he put his foot
down when John wanted to make Yoko a Beatle?  Paul sells out concerts today
on the history and fame of the Beatles alone.  Could he sell out large arenas
if people knew he wasn't going to play any Beatles?  I'm not so sure he
could.  If Pete had designed his solo projects solely for commercial success,
he would have been a mega-star like McCartney.  Instead, Pete has remained
edgy, never mainstream.

mc