Re: Roger on TV

On Wed, 01 May 2002 15:06:10 +0000, "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>>Wow. It must be *really* hideous if it's not even coming out in video!
>
>They're probably still trying to find a distributor for theater release.
>Most producers prefer that, I think.

After reading the review on IMDB, that doesn't look very likely --
unless they find a way to capitalize on his newfound high profile
(thanks to the CFNY and the upcoming tour).

>Notice how Mike Myers used the CFNYC opportunity to capture Roger's
>attention for the Keith Moon movie.  He had mentioned the possibility in
>interviews after the last Austin Powers movie, but got no response, so he
>worked at it a little harder.  I get the impression that Roger never does
>this kind of lobbying for roles that he wants.

True, but he should be discriminating in terms of what gets offered to
him. Yes, I realize that movie roles -- especially for men who aren't
pretty boys and are closing in on 60 -- are rare, but the more crappy
movies he does, the less people will remember his really good work.

>>He's got some acting talent (not on the level of, say, Pacino, but
>>he's definitely good), charisma and high name recognition. That should open
>>lots of doors for him.
>>
>>But I think that much like with his solo music career, he has a knack
>>for picking lots of crap and not enough worthy material, IMO.
>
>Roger's solo career has declines (as has Pete's and John's) as The Who has
>been less active, but actually he's been pretty successful--more so in
>Europe than in the US.  I like a lot of the songs on his albums,  especially
>DALTREY and PARTING SHOULD BE PAINLESS, and the albums have gotten more
>interesting as he's written more of the songs.

"Parting Should Be Painless" and "Under a Raging Moon" are my
favorites (along with, of course, the "McVicar" soundtrack), but I am
not thrilled with some of the other stuff he's done. I have all the
albums, but I don't really listen to them very often. To me, it just
doesn't seem as if much of the solo material "works" with him. I guess
I just like him best when he's singing what Pete (and John) have
written. :-)

Leslie

--
"Every one of the innocents who died on Sept. 11 was the most important person on earth to somebody.
Every death extinguished a world." -- President George W. Bush, 12/11/2001

www.hillary-watch.org