Re: female lead singers

In a message dated 03/29/2002 9:55:13 AM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> I find in curious that some leave all women out of any mention of vocal
> greatness.  What's that bias about?  Sexism?  Fear of women?  Preference
> for
> the company of males?  A jock/boy's club mentality toward musical
> discussion?  Has anyone heard of Big Mama Thornton, Koko Taylor, Janis,
> Joni, Ronnie, Ann Wilson, Bonnie Raitt, Kate Bush, Alanis, Chrissie...?
> And what about a switch hitter like Freddie Mercury?  Not butch enough?
>
> Jeff

Hahahahahahaha!  Funny post regarding Freddie Mercury.  He should be in
there, however, among the all-time greats.  Agree totally about the females.
When i started this thread i was really only thinking of male lead singers,
but didn't specify it in my post.  I was really thinking more along the lines
of "who-like" bands.  Janis Joplin def deserves to be in the company of the
singers listed.  I would add Grace Slick to your list, also.  If you want to
include cheesy 80s music, throw Belinda Carlisle in there.

mc