Re: 10 Greatest Guitarists/Vocalists & Why

WMDSnyder@aol.com wrote:

> AEB:
>
> Generally a good list - but what about...? (in no particular order)
> (I generally resist the urge - but this is fun!)
>
> Stevie Ray Vaughan (who clapton absolutely feared)

Boring Buddy Guy/Albert King/Otis Rush/Freddie King copyist

> Jimi Hendrix (who took what pete/A King started and went to another planet)

Not in my top 10, but much beloved

> Duane Allman (Lowell was great, but Duane was "it")

Lowell had a sweeter note, funkier groove, better intonation

> John McLaughlin (jazz, rock, classical, speed, blues, raga - you name it, he
> does it - all together)

A clinical, intellectual guitarist with no soul

> John Goodsall (a wildcard if there ever was one)

Don't know him

> Pete T. (makes it look easy - or nasty)

He was on my list, nuff said

> Robert Johnson (helped define the blues)

He, too, was on my list

> Adrian Belew (more sounds than a guitar should make)

I dunno his stuff

> Albert King/ Albert Collins (sue me - can't decide)

Albet K was on my list, Albert C was a personal friend I miss

> Jeff Beck (HUGE hands)

Jeff was on my list

> and then...there's always -
> B.B. (greatness)

Yes, but I prefer Albert and Freddie King

> Page (only in a studio, though)

A classic producer and arranger, innovative guitarist, but
sloppy

> Al DiMeola (too fast, but what the hell)

An elegant gypsy

> Santana (a true melting-pot guitarist)

Don't care for the latino sound or harsh tone

> Joni Mitchell (seriously - check out Hejira onward)

Great Gal

> Robert Fripp (control Freak)

Clinical, etc.

> Frank Zappa (Weasels ripped his strat!)

Too quirky

> No singers...(but you'll notice that most of the guitarists are good singers,
> too)

Adiola, mi amigo

ElInglesChico~