Re: Better News

"It is our understanding that The Who will retain primarily the 5 piece
onstage presence that many Who fans welcomed during the 1999 through 2002
shows."

Thanks for posting this, Scott.
My second thought when I read Simon's post was that it sounded similar to
the Quad-for-the-stage Simon worked on last spring with Pete.  This
arrangement allowed Pete to become the composer/arranger while Simon played
guitar.  As we know, the Quad workshop did not result in any performances,
but did result in Pete working out some arrangements.  I think it is a good
thing.

One of the things that struck me when watching the RAH DVD and the RAH shows
this year, is that Pete's presence in the group is mostly as conductor and
less and less as a performer.  He uses his instrument to direct the group
much of the time.  He only ocassionally takes off into what I would call
lead guitar mode and he doesn't seem to find that very fulfilling.  That
being said, I think it makes a great deal of sense to bring in a guitarist
to sit in during rehearsals.   Especially a guitarist who Pete trusts and
can potentially bring a fresher set of ears and hands to some of the old
stuff.

Wouldn't you rather hear Simon play guitar than Roger?  I would.  Wouldn't
you like to hear them try ICSFM with 2 guitars?  I would.

Jeff