Sunrise (was) Re: Video Clipping

From: Deliphus01@aol.com

Then Jeff "Welcome Back Jeff" House wrote:

> Mark,
> That song pisses me off.

Which finally made me comment on this song, a song
that for some 35 years I have loved, and is certainly in
my top 10 of Who->/Townshend Songs.

1st ~ I can't understand *anyone* not loving this exquisite
piece of music.

2nd ~ In Pete's own words from the book and sheet music
for Sunrise in "A Decade Of TheWho->":

"This song utilises quite a lot of chords picked up from
Mickey Bakers'  "Jazz Guitar" Tutors. They come in two
parts, show all complex chords as box diagrams and will
teach you more in an hour about Jazz Guitar that you will
ever learn elsewhere."

+++

So even at this early phase in Pete's career he was studying
music and technique outside of the rock genre.

+++

3rd ~ I see "Sunrise" as representational of a new day, a new
beginning, oneness, pureness even. The start of something
fresh and hopeful. The "Baba" connection seems to me to
be very likely, yet one that I had not considered until it was
spoken of here today.

That said, I also find nothing clichi about the lyrics (most
of my friends are sick of hearing me say "Lyrics mean
nothing if there is no musical integrity involved. If the tune
doesn't catch my ear, the lyrics never will.").

To me, this song represents a man lamenting his failures,
facing the fact that he has passed "other" opportunity time
after time whilst lying in wait for "Sunrise" (whomever he/she
it/they/them might be) only to never capture the moment
of "Sunrise" in full, thereby failing completely, and fearing
this to be a lifelong pattern.

I see "Sunrise" as not just a wonderful love song, but also
as a song that contains a man's ruthless self realisation that
he may never reach his dreams.

Seems like a song for all man/woman kind.

AnEnglishBoy~