My Generation best debut album of all time

Thanks to david at alt.music.who for pointing this
out:

In an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette March
3rd, Ed Masley had an article on great debut albums.
Here's #1:

1. The Who, "The Who Sings My Generation" (1965)
This album just explodes, a soulful, frenzied
celebration of the healing power of maximum R&B, all
slashing power chords and young man blues and chaos
masquerading as a drummer. Keith Moon's title as the
most exciting drummer rock 'n' roll had ever seen was
secure by the time he arrived at the chorus of "Out in
the Street," an opening track that lifts its intro
from the band's third single, "Anyway Anyhow
Anywhere," then leaves that classic choking on its
fumes as Moon goes into overdrive, leaving guitarist
Pete Townshend with nothing to do but make some chaos
of his own on stun-guitar. It's also got those great
falsetto harmonies that so defined the early Who. But
nothing would define the early Who with quite the
impact of "My Generation," a stuttering youth-culture
anthem that draws a line in the sand and checks your
ID with "I hope I die before I get old." Roger
Daltrey's performance is practically dripping with
contempt, but it's the energy that really makes it
sting. There's nothing quite like energy to separate
the young man from the old. And that they had in
surplus. Not that every track relies on energy and
chaos. "The Kids Are Alright" is a shimmering
folk-rock charmer. And no other British invader could
have done James Brown the way the Who does James Brown
here on "I Don't Mind" and "Please, Please, Please."
The most impressive thing about this debut, though, is
Townshend's writing. It's light years ahead of the
writing you'll find on any other debut by an original
British Invader. But unlike those other acts, the Who
peaked early.

The whole article is at:
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/20020303topdiscs0303fnp3.asp

=====