interesting video

Here's an interesting report from alt.music.who, thanks to Svante and
Max:

>A couple of weeks ago I ordered a video called "La fete aujourd4hui la
fet demain", which is a film by Maria Koleva documenting the communist
festival in Paris in 1972. As it were, the Who put on a show during the
festival.

I promised to tell what Who material the video contained, so here goes.
By the way I ordered the video from www.alapage.com , a french
amazon.com-site sort of. That worked very well for me in case you'd
like to order it too.

Now, this movie is not a music festival movie like the Woodstock movie.
It's about 80 minutes long, of which 60 minutes is interviews with
people attending and participating in the festival. Much of this is
also a sort staged public communist debate. At the end of the movie -
the big finale - what seems to be leaders of the French communist party
proclaim "Vive la Communisme, vive la France" and all people break out
singing first the Marseillase and then the "Internationale".

If you ask me, some people of great political power all dressed in tie
and suit tried to take advantage of the current pacifist movement and
Woodstock generation and revive the communist revolution. Revolution
being a tradition in this country anyway.

What puzzles me is why the Who appeared at this festival. The easy
answer would probably be money or the chance to make some. However, I'd
like to hear an explanation today, or possibly an excuse.

Anyway, about 35 minutes into the movie, Roger Daltrey is being
interviewed in english. He is asked to explain what politics means to
him (or probably what communism means to him, but the actual questions
are edited out). Daltrey says that he doesn't care about politics or
politicians. All he cares about is the music and the people who have
come to hear it. He seems uneasy and almost offended by the questions.
The camera focuses on the crucifix that Daltrey wears around his neck,
religion and the church having been discussed earlier in the
documentary. Entwistle and Moon and members of the road crew are seen
in the background. Entwistle is heard muttering "Ireland to the Irish"
or something and Moon getting rather "tipsy" on beer. Townshend's not
around at all.

Then the Who walk back stage and in the next sequence are seen running
onto the rather spacious stage area. The camera sweeps slowly over the
audience as the Who do their intros. There seems to be at least 50000
people there, but I really doubt the figure of 400000 people that I've
heard. The Who is then heard playing mid way through "Summertime
Blues", their second song in the set that evening. All instruments can
be heard clearly in what I would think is the actual concert sound. Not
brilliant quality, but pretty good. The Who is clearly brilliant!
Daltrey is swinging his michrohone, Pete is jumping about while doing
some nasty soloing, behind the drums one sees a dark piece of hair and
a couple of arms waving about. Then the editor has cut to people laying
on the ground "grooving", listening to "Summertime blues" way in the
background. This is the end of the Who segment. It lasted about 5
minutes.

The video comes out as black and white on my TV, but I'm not really
sure if it's not in color. The video is in SECAM format, so there might
be a problem with my VCR not showing it correctly. I really miss that
color red in this documentary.... ;)

That's it! Hope it helps.

Regards,
Svante

> From: Max (max@networks50.freeserve.co.uk)
 Subject: Re: La fjte de l4humaniti

Yes, it is in colour, but a French SECAM machine, or a multi system
player and TV which handles that format,  are needed for this
particular tape. With a PAL machine, you will only see a B&W picture,
but the sound is fully intact. The onstage Who concert bit is 1.5-2
mins, but with the interview before, and with the sound of SB carrying
after they cut away,
takes it to around 5 mins of the 90 mins total. It looks like an
onstage trade union meeting at times...........! But still an
interesting
piece.

Svante Bvrjesson <svante.borjesson@telia.com> wrote in message...

=====