Re: Vintage WHO ARE YOU Review

>Easy as it would be to blame it all on overuse of effects, that isn't the
>only thing wrong.  Two of Townshend's songs, "Music Must Change" and the
>Gilbert and Sullivan-esque "Guitar And Pen" sound more as if they were
>written for some West End "Rock musical" (later to be made into a
>feature-length "Rock movie" courtesy Robert Stigwood) than rock'n'roll
>music.

The guy has picked up what I think about it--that Townshend left the rock
'n' roll genre with this album.  It's hard to place the music, exactly.
We've said in discussions here that it leaned to New Wave, but he says it's
a "Broadway musical" style.  I hadn't thought about that--it does have a
touch of the musical sound.  Has Pete gone more classical with this
album--back to what his mom sang?

>Maybe it's my fault.  Maybe I don't have the right to expect something from
>a band. Sure it's all good music, brilliant, maybe, but from The Who I
>expect that gutsiness, that feeling of being kicked in the groin by a
>guitar chord {Horrible analogy!! - Schrade} bowled over by a wash of
>frenzied drums, angered by the anger.

Townshend's solo albums were leaning to his dad's jazz about this time.  WAY
is a very cool album, compared to the earlier rock recordings, lacking both
Moon's drums and Townshend's guitar.  I thought WHO BY NUMBERS tended in
this direction, too.  Anybody else?

keets