Re: y know.....

"L. Bird" wrote:

> I agree that it would have been good for them to have a week or so to regroup,
> but it's not like they could just quit and take the time off. They'd have to
> work out the logistics, regardless.  There are trucks sitting around, and
> gear, and instruments and a bunch of people staying in hotel rooms and
> contracts for venues and fans holding tickets that would have to be
> rescheduled.  I thought Caryn Rose reported an excellent comment on O&S by a
> professional musician on the subject.  You don't just cancel a major
> tour like this, or even reschedule without making a huge mess.  That would be
> even more a burden to everyone concerned.
>
> keets

Again, wait a second. I work in show biz, mostly in film making, on the
transportation side of things. Hell, we're even handling the 6 Who shows in the
NY area. When something like this happens, the production goes on hiatus, as was
the case during filming of "Sex & the City" when Parker got pregnant
unexpectedly. They suspended production for a couple weeks, sliced off 5 or 6
episodes, and then resumed filming once they figured out what to do. Shoot her
from the chest up! Did it cost money to change the schedule? Yes it did. Will
people in the cast & crew loose some money because of the shortened season? Yes
they will. But this is how life is. You make adjustments. You do other projects
in between. You place the trucks in some location & send the drivers home. In
some cases, the crew still gets paid. Usually, insurance covers this. If there
is no insurance then someone makes a tad less profit, but at least it's, imho,
with dignity & spares the audience what will be a very difficult night tomorrow.

They already postponed 2 shows, and I'm only suggesting of postponing 4 others.
You suspend production and resume after the hiatus, with the 2nd leg &
reschedule the 1st leg. All that because one of the stars of the show died. In
this case, it's JAE, a major member of this production.

You then honor John properly, wake & funeral, take a few days off to regroup &
then rehearse, something they hate doing, but in this case necessary. Then you
allow the fans to accept the situation & come out full of love & strength to
support & applaud the decision to continue. This way the band & the audience can
come together as one, with the awkwardness somewhat removed. It also gives time
for them to come up with the proper tribute to John while on stage. Rushing to
make these decisions, in the middle of the confusion, may haunt them for a long
time to come. Is that worth the money?

magik